Reeducation Camps of China’s Xinjiang | Teen Ink

Reeducation Camps of China’s Xinjiang

June 12, 2019
By jnazneen BRONZE, Amman, Other
jnazneen BRONZE, Amman, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show


What would you think if you had to stay trapped somewhere without your permission? What if someone was forcefully changing your beliefs and religion? I know you would not want that but it is done to the Uyghurs and other ethnic minorities in China’s Xinjiang.  For the past 3 years, Xinjiang has had massive changes in areas such as schools. They have been expanded to a very high capacity. It is suspected that these are reeducation camps for Uyghurs. They are forced into going into “ reeducation camps”. These reeducation camps are said to be a helpful place where people are learning new things.  Even if these camps might not exist but then why does the Chinese government deny the fact of having them? Why are no officials or journalist allowed to film or report in Xinjiang? Reeducation camps are harmful and should not even exist.


According to BBC,

“ On 12 July 2015, a satellite swung over the rolling deserts and oasis cities of China's vast far west. One of the images it captured that day just shows a patch of empty, untouched, ashen-grey sand. It seems an unlikely place to start an investigation into one of the most pressing human rights concerns of our age. But less than three years later, on 22 April 2018, a satellite photo of that same piece of desert showed something new. A massive, highly secure compound had materialized. It is enclosed with a 2km-long exterior wall punctuated by 16 guard towers.”

This clearly shows that China has been denying the facts about the reeducation camps.  If these aren't reeducation camps then why are they being protected so much and why is it being expanded? Now think about it, if China says that they do not have these camps, then why aren't reporters allowed in Xinjiang? Why are they denied filming or reporting? Sources have proved how no one is being able to film or report.


Majority of the people in  Xinjiang are the Uyghurs/Uighurs along with other ethnic minorities. .Uyghurs are previously Turkic people who have immigrated to the eastern side of Asia in the past. Majority of the Uyghurs live in Xinjiang of China.  Furthermore, The CIA Factbook clearly states that the main religion in China is Buddhism. The Uyghurs are Muslims. This is a clear reason for the reeducation camps. Other ethnic minorities within China have also been fading away with time. The people that have been liberated are found to have changed their own religion. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights clearly states in Article 2,

“ Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, color, sex, language, religion, political or other opinions, national or social origin, property, birth or another status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty”.

China is not only following these rights but also violating them. This should stop. China is doing wrong and they should stop all the reeducation camps.  Would you like this to happen to you?


On the other hand, it might as well be ok to have these camps or the fact that there aren't any of these camps. One satellite image cannot be enough to prove the reeducation camps. China doesn't comply with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. China itself has Human Rights. China has created its own Human Rights.  Also, it is China’s sovereignty and choice if they want to allow film in Xinjiang. Not accepting China’s sovereignty is not a political/professional thing to do. But should that one thing be the only thing to considering in a topic that has gone worldwide?


In fact, it is true that China does not comply with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights but they do have there own set of Human Rights. China not complying to The Universal Declaration of Human Rights has been a topic that has been debated quite often. However, China may have forgotten a piece in their human rights. According to the Chinese Embassy in Lithuania, “China's Constitution stipulates that citizens enjoy the freedom of religious belief.” This is part of there human rights which they are violating. Therefore their Human Rights of China are also proving that reeducation camps are bad and horrible.  China is also not allowing anyone inside Xinjiang. Reporters along with officials are not allowed into This needs to stop. One re-education camp is destroying the lives of many Ughers. Imagen what 50 more would do. If this happens would you like it? Re-education camps should stop and people should be freed.


The author's comments:

This is my opinion. You may not agree but I just wanted to put it out there.