Oakland Shootings Break People | Teen Ink

Oakland Shootings Break People

May 23, 2019
By yafet_btw BRONZE, Oakland, California
yafet_btw BRONZE, Oakland, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

On May 10 there was a school shooting at STEM school in Colorado. Multiple people were injured and 1 person was killed for tackling the shooter. All of this happened because of easy access to guns in Oakland, U.S.A. Gun violence has an impact on families and friends of the victim. One solution to stop gun violence is by not pressuring boys. Another solution is by raising the legal age for buying a gun. The last reason is by having stricter gun laws.


The main cause of gun violence is being pressured to be someone you’re not or do something you don’t want to do. “The Overwhelming Maleness of Mass Homicides” by Erika Christakis states “Through the exact ratios vary, in every society it is that males more than females who play fight, bully, fight for real, kill for real, rape, start wars and fight in wars”. This matters because when males get pressured they might do something that they will later regret or be a character that they might not want to be.


The problem is that the legal age for buying a gun is not 21 or older in Oakland, U.S.A The Post News Group by Barbara Parker states “To prevent straw sales to criminals; raising the legal age for buying a gun to 21”. This matters because there is no age range for buying guns which is not okay. Guns not having an age range can cause more deaths because youngsters might accidentally kill someone.


The problem is that guns are illegally being sold. “Taking Action to Stop Gun Violence in Oakland” by Rebecca Kaplan states “Public safety, gun crime and illegal dealing is not a local problem”. This matters because guns are illegally being smuggled which can lead to more deaths.

 

The problem is that not all people get checked for background checks and licensing for all gun purchases. The Post News Group by Barbara Parker states “Some common sense regulations: universal background checks and licensing for all gun purchases”. This matters because background checks and licensing can prevent shooting/deaths in Oakland, U.S.A


We can start a renewed assault weapon ban to prevent gun violence. The Post News Group by Barbara Parker states “A renewed assault weapons ban to limit the sale to civilians of weapons made for no other purpose than to kill large numbers of human beings in the shortest possible time ever”. This matters because assault weapons shoot quickly, so banning them can save lives.


The problem is that not all males have good role models because if they did they wouldn’t do what they do right now. “The Overwhelming Maleness of Mass Homicide” by Erika Christakis states “And, overall, 90% of all violent offenders are male, as are nearly 80% of the victims”. This matters because males don’t have the right role models they need to live in today’s society.


The AR-15 is fun to use and easy to hunt and aim with. Not everyone one with an AR-15 kills people. The AR-15 is a military-based weapon and should not be in civilians hands. The AR-15 also shoots more rounds quicker which can lead to more deaths. “What Happened to The Ban on Assault Weapons” by Jimmy Carter states “In 2006, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported more than 30,000 people dead from firearms, accounting for nearly 20% of all injury deaths”. This is important because the AR-15 could be the main cause of deaths.


Friends and families are harmed by gun violence. To prevent gun violence, we should not pressure young men to be something there not and we should change the legal age from 18 to 21 for buying a gun. Oakland is affected by gun violence because guns are illegally smuggled into Oakland which can cause gun violence. This is important because these tips and/or laws can save laws in Oakland, U.S.A.