Birth Control Accessibility | Teen Ink

Birth Control Accessibility

May 20, 2019
By sydneyborden BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
sydneyborden BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The use of birth control is a highly controversial and debated topic in the United States, especially given the conditions of the country right now. Our president, Donald Trump, has blatantly expressed his emotions about the topic of birth control, and a company which supplies many young girls and women with the contraceptive; Planned Parenthood. The president is currently using his power to deprive the women of the right to control their bodies and what goes inside of them, in an effort to defund Planned Parenthoods across the U.S. However, it is important to realize that birth control aides in more than just a contraceptive. For that reason, here is why girls should have access to birth control once they get get their monthly cycle.

The average age that young girls first get their menstrual cycle is 12 ½ years old. That means that girls who aren’t even considered teenagers yet are having to struggle with the side effects, which can be extremely painful, of a menstrual period. According to uofmhealth.org in an article titled “Birth Control: Pros and Cons of Hormonal Methods.”, there are seemingly more pros than cons health wise in favor of the use of birth control. The article tells us that birth control can help “Reduce bleeding and cramping with periods, which lowers the risk of anemia,” (Birth Control: Pros and Cons of Hormonal Methods). Many girls suffer from Primary Dysmenorrhea, severe menstrual cramps, so much so that some females have to receive medical marijuana cards from their doctors in order to alleviate some of the pain. A second example of a positive that can arise from birth control use is that there is a “Reduced risk of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) [...] Reduced risk of ectopic pregnancy […] May protect against ovarian and endometrial cancer” (Birth Control: Pros and Cons of Hormonal Methods). The use of birth control has scientifically shown to reduce the risk of multiple diseases, disorders and conditions that women are susceptible to. Finally, birth control can aide in self-confidence because it can help reduce acne, and help women keep their mood under control and reduce the mood swings that often accompany a monthly cycle.

 

“Dear Diary, I’m Pregnant,” is a book where young teenage girls tell the stories behind their pregnancies, how their lives have changed and how their actions had a direct effect on the consequences. Sexual interaction amongst teenagers is essentially inevitable. It is important for young females to realize that they have options to be protected and have the choice to be on birth control or not. Young females who face unwanted pregnancies will most likely feel alone, scared or sometimes suicidal. It is important for society to protect the young women of our generation. A young girl named Chloe gives a piece of advice to young women who are sexually active. “If you’re not ready for it (a baby), why not give someone who is ready the chance? That’s my advice. And good luck! I feel really sorry for people who are stuck in the situation and have to do something ‘cause it’s their only way. Like me. If I hadn’t been so young, I wouldn’t have done it”. (Englander, 125). To no fault of her own, it is important to recognize that young females are simply not meant to be mothers. They have their own responsibilities, and need to grow up and mature before being able to handle a situation like having a baby. How can young girls be expected to have a child when they are still are still children themselves?

The argument against birth control takes a somewhat ethical turn. Many people in the pro-life movement argue that birth control is “anti-life.”  With the current position the United States is in, with states outlawing women’s rights over their own bodies implies that women who do not want children at this moment in time do not have many options other than abstinence. Take away birth control from women and you will create a societal shift in which these children will grow up in unhealthy environments given that their mothers were not in a good place to support them at the time of their pregnancy. Would you rather women have children who are stuck in poverty and lacking essential needs of childhood, or would you rather women have access to a pill that prevents pregnancy before a life even forms inside of her?

Another argument against birth control comes from an online article called “Birth Control Pills: A Guide For Parents”. In this article, more pros and cons of the pill are presented. It is explained that people fear the use of birth control because they believe it will cause blood clots and increase the risk of uterus and ovarian cancers, as well as cause strokes. However, the truth of the matter is that “There is a very slight risk of developing blood clots in the legs, but much less than the risk during pregnancy,” and also that “[...] the Pill actually protects against cancer of the ovaries and cancer of the lining of the uterus. A woman is half as likely to get cancer of the uterus or ovaries if she has taken birth control pills.” (Birth Control Pills: A Guide For Parents). Birth control, if anything helps prevent women from getting abortions more than it supports it. When women have the support of birth control, they are still able to make their own decisions to be sexually active, but to do so without the constant worry and “what if” of pregnancies.

 

Women in the United States, and all over the world, face a lot of prejudice and injustice from men who get to create the laws over women’s bodies. That in and of itself is unfathomable, and the fact that women may lose their rights and access to birth control tells you something about society’s view on women. If a female is struggling and cannot function during her menstrual cycle, she should be able to have access to a pill that will help hold her over until she can manage again.

 


Birth Control: Pros and Cons of Hormonal Methods.” Birth Control: Pros and Cons of Hormonal Methods | Michigan Medicine.


Englander. Dear Diary, I’m Pregnant Teenagers Talk About Their Pregnancy. Paw Prints, 2008.


Posted under Parents Articles. Updated 4 April 2019. Related Content. “Birth Control Pills.” Center for Young Womens Health, 4 Apr. 2019.