Why Dystopian Literature Is Experiencing a Rise in Popularity Today | Teen Ink

Why Dystopian Literature Is Experiencing a Rise in Popularity Today

By jreed15 BRONZE, Hebron, Indiana
jreed15 BRONZE, Hebron, Indiana

The idea of dystopian literature is to not only entertain readers of all ages, but to let them understand the ideas and characteristics of a dystopian society. Many people wonder why dystopian literature is experiencing such a rise in popularity today, and I believe some reasons behind this is, Nobody’s perfect, Identify with protagonist, and Allows readers to escape known reality, which were all found in these stories that my class read, they included Ten with a flag, The Veldt, and Harrison Bergeron.

The story that caught most of my attention was “Ten with a flag”, this story shows that absolutely nobody is perfect. For example Johnny was so concerned with the flag he wasn’t focusing on how his child was going to be a 10, Johnny and his wife’s rating would even be boosted up once this child was born, but that’s not at all what Johnny was worried about. This story caught a lot of my attention because of how Johnny had zero interest in being the father of a baby that had a so called “flag.”

Another example of dystopian literature would be from The Veldt, which is based in the future, and us people today obviously are ignorant with what’s going on in the future because we aren’t there yet, we have no idea what it’s even going to look like. So reading this story gives you an idea of what it could possibly be like which is pretty interesting to think about. The story of the Veldt shows that every move that your child makes is under surveillance in their room. For example, one of the original uses of the room was so that they could study the patterns left on the walls by the child’s mind. We would be able to study them whenever we wanted to, and help the child. However, the room has become a means of creating destructive thoughts, instead of helping to make them go away.  So citizens are perceived to be under constant surveillance 24/7.

My last piece of evidence of why a lot of people enjoy reading dystopian stories is the story Harrison Bergeron because of the bureaucratic control that is revealed throughout the story. I believe this is interesting to many people because it gives them a sense a reality if we were to become anywhere near a dystopian society by trusting the government to everything. According to the 211th, 212th, 213th amendments of the Constitution that are enforced by the “The unceasing vigilance of the United States Handicapper General” in the story is a perfect example of how the government is in control.

By these few dystopian stories they’re giving us examples of many different “perfect worlds.” These stories not only show us futuristics, perfect society’s, bureaucratic controls, and many more that makes a story a dystopia.  Just by all these and many more dystopian literature elements, make this genre such a popular read today.