Why My Vote Matters | Teen Ink

Why My Vote Matters

November 25, 2018
By jessiegreenman SILVER, Hemet, California
jessiegreenman SILVER, Hemet, California
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique- Walt Disney


In January of 2017, I had the honor of visiting the Korean war memorial. We went at night and the air was cold and misty as we walked around the soldiers their faces came alive. You could almost feel what they felt, scared, weary, homesick. All of them looked in different directions waiting for their enemy. Raindrops that looked like sweat dripping down their checks. As you walked around your mind would trick you into thinking that they were moving. Looking at memorial made it feel like their emotions become yours and you suddenly feel an urge to cry.

When you think of America what do you think of? The first thing to come to my mind is red, white, and blue. For me, those colors represent things like freedom of speech, the right to bear arms, the American dream, the statue of liberty, but most importantly the right to vote.

The right that people like Susan B. Anthony and Martin Luther King fought so hard to get. They helped women and minorities get the right to vote. They didn't do this because they didn't have anything else to do, they did it because they knew that every vote matters. They did it because they knew it would make an impact. They did it because when it comes to voting gender or race shouldn't matter. The only thing that matters is that you are an American. Thanks to them future generations can vote and will continue to be able to vote. "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.”  A vote matters even if it is alone.

The United States is a democracy. In order for a democracy to run the people need to vote. If our people don't vote, our government can't run because if we don't vote officials won't get elected which means they can't vote on new laws or to change old ones. Our government decisions start with us. We decide what we want to get done we vote officials in that care about the issues we care about.

Only ⅓ of 18-24 years vote. That ⅔ left could change laws that are passed and have a bigger impact than they realize. If you told those ⅔ that the decisions they make now will impact their lives but also the lives of their children would they vote.

Thanks to the soldiers that protect our country like the ones shown at the Korean war memorial and people like Susan B. Anthony we have the right to vote. Our vote may not change everything but it does make an impact. A impact that can change lives. A impact that could change a country.


The author's comments:

This is a pieace on voting and why I belive it is important.