Why I March | Teen Ink

Why I March

By anuthereal GOLD, Duluth, Georgia
anuthereal GOLD, Duluth, Georgia

"I will suffer because of my morals, but my morals will never suffer."

I shouldn’t have to explain why I marched, why I stand for Parkland, why I helped organize a student walkout, why I speak up for change in my state and country. But the neveragain movement is about reaching people with reason. These are my reasons. I am aware that civil disobedience always comes at a price, but for this movement, I am willing to pay.

I marched for my life because actions speak louder than words.

I marched for my life because my generation needs to be the generation to create change.

I marched for my life because, when the second amendment was written, the most advanced gun fired 1 round per minute.

I marched for my life because the gun used to murder 17 people in Parkland fired 45 rounds per minute.

I marched for my life because times have changed; guns have changed; our gun laws need to change with them.

I marched for my life because I refuse to be told that aborting a clump of cells is heinous murder but children being murdered in school shootings is just a part of living in a free society.

I marched for my life to get more students interested and involved in my petition and proposal for the Georgia state department of education.

I marched for my life because the NRA has funded Johnny Isakson $303,118, David Perdue $373,000, Sanford Bishop $108,311 and Karen Handel $47,672 to argue on its behalf.

I marched for my life because keeping students safe should not be a political issue.

I marched for my life because it was my choice… my power… my voice

I marched for my life because it was my connection to the high schoolers whose lives and experiences were decimated by an AR-15.

I marched for my life so my children won’t have to.