LGBTQ Adoption | Teen Ink

LGBTQ Adoption

By Elijah_M BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri
Elijah_M BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri

According to DailyBeast, Colorado, Oklahoma and Kansas will very soon pass legislation that will allow child placement agencies to turn away couples of the same sex, who want to foster or adopt children. For many years, same sex adoption has been a very controversial and sensitive topic for many people.

Isidewith's data shows that 79% of people agree that same sex adoption should be legal, and 21% of people say no, it should not be legal or allowed. If you are logical about the issue, you will see that not allowing lgbt couples to adopt or foster is a violation of their human rights (and is simply immoral). Could you imagine? Being told, “Sorry, we can’t let you adopt this child.” and you demand a reasoning, and eventually they tell you “The government granted us the right to deny gay couples the right to adopt.” That would be an immense slap in the face. Though, same sex adoption is legal in all 50 states, some states, mentioned above want to try to make it as hard as possible for gay couples to adopt. It is entirely unfair that our government gets to choose whether or not a child is going to have a mom and a dad, two dads or two moms. That shouldn’t be up to them. Mollie Reilly from HuffPost says, “We hope that it should finally be clear that discrimination against gay people simply because they are gay violates the Constitution in all 50 states, including Mississippi.” Article 1, sentence one of The Universal Declaration of Human Rights states, “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.” So as common sense will tell you, rejecting lgbt couples to adopt and/or foster is utterly wrong immoral.

“The earth is the mother of all people, and all people should have equal rights upon it.” - Chief Joseph.