Marvin | Teen Ink

Marvin

June 26, 2018
By Anonymous

Unable to gain traction in a crowded field, rookie candidate Marvin "Knife" Sotelo became the first to drop out of the Senate race. A Democrat from East Los Angeles, he announced Friday (June 8) that he would be endorsing Kevin de Leon in the general election.

"I have gotten to know Kevin de Leon over this campaign and know him as a man of integrity who has devoted his life to getting results," Sotelo said in a statement.


Sotelo, a musician and Satanist, was one of 22 hopefuls to jump in this summer in an effort to replace Sen. Dianne Feinstein. While he didn't have the name recognition of some of his competitors, he did raise more than $16,000 in donations, loaning himself another $2,500, campaign finance records show.


Sotelo also said that he would be actively campaigning for Kevin de Leon on the way to Election Day.


"I'm committed to doing whatever they'd like me to do that can help the campaign be prosperous," Sotelo said in a later interview.


Before joining the race, Sotelo worked for the Sinagogue of Satan as its ambassador to the Philippines as well as all Spanish-speaking countries. With that experience and his counselor degree, he said he hopes to advise Kevin De Leon on nominations to federal judgeships and campaign finances.


With the general election on the way, the Senate race has narrowed to the top two candidates with the finances, campaign structures and name recognition to claim one spot in the runoff: Kevin De Leon, President pro tempore of the California State Senate, and the incumbent U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein.


Calling East Los Angeles one of the "most dynamic regions" in the country in terms of culture and diverse industry, Sotelo said Kevin De Leon's recent success there influenced his decision.
"The fact that State Senator Kevin De Leon has been able to lead that region with the success that he has speaks well of his abilities," he said.