Apple's 2018 iPhone Lineup | Teen Ink

Apple's 2018 iPhone Lineup

By AryaMaz BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
AryaMaz BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

"Ogres are like onions, we have many layers" - Shrek

Apple has always been a very consistent company. It has always been at the top of the game when it comes to the newest technology. Last year, Apple released some of their best products ever such as the new iMac Pro and MacBook pro,  by far the most powerful computers they have sold, the iPhone 8, an upgrade from the previous year’s iPhone 7, and finally the iPhone X, the powerful phone that everyone’s taking about. However this year, Apple has not only introduced a beautiful red color to the iPhone 8 for AIDS fundraising, the company will be releasing four different variations of previous iPhones. These will include but may not be limited to two larger sized iPhone Xs (one being 6.5 inches and the other being 6.1 inches), iPhone SE2 (A more modern approach on the iPhone SE yet still retaining its significant features), and just a second generation standard sized iPhone X, most likely coming with a better camera and a stronger processor. This is the one thing that Apple always lacked which is having a variety. They definitely nailed this year, yet time still will tell us if Apple, the most expensive company in the world, skimped on quality to have a bigger quantity.

Apple is known for releasing phones every September that are known for being an upgrade from the previous year’s phone. Up to 2016, this has been the trend. However, back in September of 2014, Apple released the best selling iPhone to date, the iPhone 6. A year later, they release an upgraded version of the iPhone 6, the iPhone 6s. It almost seemed like a completely new phone due to the fact that it was not only completed by having Siri, but also supported 3D Touch, which added a lot of functionality to the iPhone series. On the other hand, half a year later, the iPhone SE was released. However, it broke the trend of being better than the previous device because it had the power of the original iPhone 6 (released 1.5 years prior) but in the body of an iPhone 5. This was for people who weren’t used to or didn’t like the bigger shape of standard iPhones. But later on in the year, the iPhone 7 was released being a huge hit for apple with the fantastic camera and massively improved battery life and processor power. The next year, 2017, was even better for Apple because the iPhone 8 was introduced with almost similar power to the iPhone 7 but a sleeker design. It was accompanied by their most revolutionary product yet, the iPhone X, released to celebrate apple’s 10 year anniversary of the iPhone. As the iPhone X got a lot of backlash for being Apple’s most expensive phone to date, its sales were still phenomenal: 150 million phones since it was released in late 2017.

Now what does Apple have that can beat the iPhone X for the next year, 2018? It has been confirmed that Apple will release three different phones in 2018, all being different models of the iPhone X. One phone will be a plus sized model of the X with the same traditional size increase as previous iPhone plus models. One of the other phones will be a smaller, more affordable iPhone X. The last model, sized between the two other models, has an LCD display (less quality and color depth than the iPhone X’s OLED display). There are many choices of new phones for September yet it isn’t necessary to get one of the new released. The older phones are always reliable so it isn’t like you are forced to get a new phone when one is released. It is your choice at the end of the day and you decide what phone you want.