Irony in the Workforce This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

My chosen career is the toughest out there. It requires something along the lines of a Ph.D in all major fields, including accounting, business management, elementary and secondary education, history, medicine, the culinary arts, foreign studies, law, and physics. This job calls for the resolve of a dictator and the patience of a diplomat. It is recognized as the most physically demanding career in existence. In doing this job, I will be mentally, physically and emotionally challenged to perform feats most people will perceive to be superhuman. I have to be as caring as a nurse and as impartial as a judge, with the stamina of a cross-country truck driver and the inventiveness of Edison. I will be on call every minute of the day, every day of the year, with no vacations, no benefits and no salary. I will never be publicly recognized nor receive accolades from my peers. I will become neither rich nor famous. I will do it all out of love.

I want to be a wife and a mother.

And they say feminism is wasted on me.

earlybird_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Good job! The ending was funny.

naturelover123 said...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 12:54 pm:
The buildup of description and then the surprise of "wife and mother" was delightful! Definitely a tough career!

Inkspired said...
Brilliant! I LOVE this! Makes you laugh, and really think (of course, I don't want to be a mother, but still). When I started I wondered what in the world required all that. Now I know, and I totally agree!

AmnyR said...
Sept. 12, 2009 at 7:30 am:
you go girl!