Playing in the Dark | Teen Ink

Playing in the Dark

By 21hl01 SILVER, Cannon Falls , Minnesota
21hl01 SILVER, Cannon Falls , Minnesota

One of the hardest things I've ever done in my life was being a kid. I grew up in a world of adults where I was hardly around people my own age. So whenever I did hang out with people my age I would go a little overboard. As a child, I was never the brightest bulb in the shed when it came to having ‘’good’’ ideas. But of course, little ten year old me thought that my ideas were revolutionary. And I can say looking back now a very small percentage of ten-year-olds have revolutionary ideas and I wasn't in that category. My most  ‘’revolutionary”idea has to be when I had the idea to play tag in the dark.
My memory from this day is a little cloudy but I remember it started out with me arriving at a party. Of Course, this was a family function though because I never got invited to parties when I was young. Probably because most of everyone knew I would forget about it or not show up anyways. But I knew that this was something I needed to go to. This was because of the fact I rarely ever got to see my family from my mom's side growing up. So when they invited us to parties it was a big deal because these things rarely would happen. Once we arrived barely anyone was there besides my aunt who was throwing the party and my two younger cousins. It was nice to hang out with them but I remember being super bored. And I'm pretty sure all we did was play board games while we waited for other people to show up.
About an hour had passed and most of my family had arrived. Most of the adults were already on there 4th or 6th beer so that meant the older kids had to watch out for the younger kids. I think I was the 2nd oldest kid at the party. And my little brain decided since I'm one of the oldest let me think of a game that all of us could play. I loved tag and hidenseek so I thought we could do both if we did it in the dark. All that I can say what happened next was crazy in a sense because everyone decided that it was a good idea to play it.
We all went to the back of the house and gathered in a circle to play rock paper scissors to see who was gonna be the tagger. But of course, we all ganged up on one person and just made them be it. It was like this for a couple rounds of playing the game. The only thing that was lighting our ways was 2 small little motion activated lights. Which made it so much better in every way possible. I remember ending up all alone in the dark and just taking a second to admire the stars. It was such a clear night sky and I don't think I can forget how bright those stars shined. The serene environment was soon taken over by screams of ‘‘she's coming, hurry and run’’.  What happened to me next wasn't something that I ever anticipated for myself. I was so close to getting away from my cousin right up until I heard a loud crack and in seconds ending up on the ground. As I was trying to run away from her my right foot happened to step in a hole. I instantly felt the throbbing pain once my cousins helped me up.
I never told anyone other than my cousins who were playing the game with me that it happened. When my mom decided that it was time to go I played it off like everything was fine. I did that for three whole days hoping it was just a simple sprain and would get better. But I my cousin couldn't handle seeing me like that so he decided to tell my mom. She was not happy that I didn't come to her first and mad that I had a bright idea to play tag in the dark. Even though I did get hurt and got my foot never to heal properly I don't regret what I did. All of my cousins were having a blast just being kids. It made me learn that there is a silver lining to everything, even if it means that losing something important.