Unfair teen stereotypes

Jock, prep, emo, slut, nerd, wannabe? Have you ever called someone that to their face? Behind their back? Or just thought it? It hurts them. Has someone ever pegged you as one of those? I know I have, and I know you have to, because you cannot go through middle school, or high school nowadays without being stereotyped. It is something that we cannot help, we do it just by glancing at them.
I remember my freshman year in high school, this girl overheard my friend making fun of her clothes, I laughed along, but I felt horrible for doing it, we found her crying in the bathroom during lunch, I wish I had apologized for making fun of her, but I never did, and I regret it, I can just imagine how that made her feel. But at the moment it made me feel better about myself, but only for awhile, and now I am feel guilty about it every time I think about it.

It isn’t just teenagers that are stereotyping, parents are stereotyping teens, have you ever heard the song teenagers by my chemical romance? One of the verses is “Their gunna clean up your looks with all the lies in the books, to make a citizen out of you, because they sleep with a gun, and keep an eye on you son so they can watch all the things you do”. That’s what I feel parents are doing, they are so afraid of us screwing up that they don’t trust you and assume that you are going to mess up, get pregnant, do drugs, or shoplift, not every teenager is like that, I’m not, but my parents don’t trust me. Iv seen it all the time, parents thinking that some kid who is dressed a certain way is a awful nasty person, but they aren’t , that is stereotyping.
Stereotyping never ends, it will follow you through collage, and your job, people will always judge people for how they look, its sad, but its true.

Dr._Dr._Pepper said...
Jun. 24, 2009 at 3:59 am:
TOTTALY TRUE
people 1st thought i was a wanna be then they thought i was a prep. but i call myself a geek, but thats my choice.

XoCheeseOnRiah94@aol.com said...
Jun. 23, 2009 at 10:18 pm:
That was an amazing article and i totally get what you mean.

SmileyRiley<3 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 23, 2009 at 9:05 pm:
i loved your article. it was great! i thought it was awesome how you admited to sterotyping. i mean who doesnt do it? but that doesnt make it okay. p.s- i loved the My Chemical Romance comment ;) Great Job

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 23, 2009 at 7:50 pm:
Good message, but you had A LOT of run on sentences.

xXsmileXx This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 23, 2009 at 5:58 pm:
I LOVE this article and everything is totally true! its funny that adults try to act like they know more than us and yet they play the same chilidish games.

inspiredbynature said...
Jun. 23, 2009 at 3:43 pm:
if you think about it, we made it like that. It started out as teens labeling others to understand them. Plus teens (well it started out that way) dressed a certain way to make a statement. You think people wear gothic clothes to be cute???? I love the point you made and the personal experiance to back it up. You wrote a good opinoin.

pinksage33 said...
Jun. 23, 2009 at 2:42 pm:
I agree 100% you might want to chek out this story TeenInk.com/raw/Pride/article/117536/The-Way-People-Treat-Me/

Vexa_Rave said...
i totally agree with you, and a lot of parents DO believe that, too... but, just so you know (i'm not sure if you felt this way or not, i'm just saying) MCR did that to act stupid, not to stereotype teens. but, yeah, some adults DO feel that way. i think he was also writing that song not only about how teenagers scared him (some kids scared him on a bus and he wrote the song to be goofy), but i think he's making fun of all the adults who make a big deal out of what teenagers do. but,... (more »)

AliceCullen94 said...
you're gonna get an A 4 that article! I loved the way you took something you delt with and used that to show ppl what their doing. if you still see you're friend, it's never too late to apologize. keep up the good work girl ;)

Gossamer said...
Apr. 18, 2009 at 12:47 am:
We can help it, you know. It just takes practice.