A Latent Addiction This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have recently been diagnosed with an addiction - to coffee. And I am not alone. This is a problem among Americans of all ages. The coffee shop has become a social staple in our culture. Its enticing aroma, cozy and inviting atmosphere, and sophisticated-sounding menu are difficult to resist, especially if you struggle with an addiction like mine.

But, when you look past the leather couches and coffees named after European cities, all you’ll find is coffee, milk, and a little caramel sauce. Anyone can buy an espresso maker and a container of CoffeeMate and create the same drink that, say, Starbucks does, for a lot less. The only difference between your homemade coffee and Starbucks is that they put it in a cute cup and throw on some whipped cream to convince us that we are treating ourselves to a well-deserved respite from the rigors of everyday life. And we believe them, too, and buy into the idea that drinking their coffee improves our quality of life.

So, next time “white chocolate mocha” begins echoing in your mind, you’ll have to make a decision: will you continue to be one of the millions of brainwashed Americans who live for their next trip to Starbucks, or will you rise above it? My advice: dare to resist and just say no.

BethaniThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I'm Mormon and we don't drink coffee. I've studied the health benefits and harms and it's just better to not have it. Your heart stays stronger. I was given a chance to go against my faith when I was given free coffee from starbucks but instead I gave it to a friend. 

Dragonscribe replied...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 8:35 pm :
Bethani, just out of curiousity - why don't you drink coffee? Is it because it's a drug? In that same effect, do you not drink alcohol? What about prescription drugs? Just curious.

Jade replied...
Oct. 20, 2011 at 6:38 am :

I was thinking the exact same thing so i looked it up..it is against their religion to drink anything HOT,and the time the book of mormons was written,coffee and tea were the majority of hot drinks,so,well,now you know

P.S it didnt really say why they cant,it said `hot drinks are not for the belly or body`,so..

Emmasmommy4610 said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 2:09 am:

During a study in my sociolgy class, I noticed that people are much less addicted to the coffee then the atmosphere. Starbucks coffee is no different than any other coffee, but they have gone out of their way to make their shops enticing. Cool music, the upper class look, nice chairs, sofas, free high speed internet, and pretty baristas make the Starbucks atmosphere a "hip" place to sip coffee and read the newspaper. I love coffee, but I could sit in a starbucks just for the atmosphere rather... (more »)

thelivimanpt2 replied...
Dec. 30, 2010 at 1:35 pm :
yeah, they really do go out of there way to make their costumers feel relaxed ahaha

magic-esi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I love how teens these days haven't heard of satire.

Great article, and I would like to be the first to say that I understood what the heck you were talking about, because I am likely the only person on this site who can claim they are a writer and know about literature.

This*Lit*Is*BananasThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 18, 2010 at 12:23 pm :

Yeah, I love how you think you can say that. As if the rest of us aren't writers and don't know about literature. I go to an Arts high school and major in Literary Arts, and I actually know a lot about literature, thank you very much. I'd like it if you could check out some of my work, in fact. I bet a lot of other teens on this site also are learned in this area. So please don't bash on others just to make yourself feel smart. Thank you.

P.S. To Hannah L. - I loved this article. It ma... (more »)

MotivatedD replied...
Nov. 29, 2010 at 8:22 pm :
i agree with you about how great the article was  great. its so true. Coffee is like a drug, as us as people we think that its good and is helping us but it really dosent

luvdance said...
Mar. 27, 2010 at 1:55 pm:
Coffee is soooooooooo good! I'm not show I'm exactly getting the point of this article. Coffee isn't really an addiction. Just because someone loveeessss chocolate or loovvveeesss broccoli.. (idk) doesn't neccessarily mean they are addicted. Being addicted to coffee is not nearly as bad as other things that people can be addicted to!

Farrell S. replied...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 4:24 pm :
caffeine is addicting. and kills 10,000 people per year.

Dragonscribe replied...
Jan. 12, 2011 at 2:35 pm :
seriously? well, so does fast food.

edwardcullen4always said...
Feb. 20, 2010 at 6:06 pm:
Very nice. I never knew you could get addicted to coffee

Emmasmommy4610 replied...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 2:12 am :

Please tell me you're joking. Caffeine addiction is as common (if not more) than niccotine addiction.

You don't get addicted to coffee, you get addicted to caffeine. Just like you can't get addicted to cigarettes, but you get addicted to the niccotine in them.

edwardcullen4always replied...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:38 am :
We'll ya I know that now. That was a while ago. My mom is addicted to caffine and my grandma to nicotine.

Emmasmommy4610 replied...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:51 am :

Lately I've developed quite the coffee problem haha. Yesterday alone, I downed 3 pots. Then got extremely sick and realized that maybe 3 cups is enough for a day. I have a 3 month old daughter, so coffee and cigarettes do come in handy. And when I'm brainstorming for a story, article, some type of writing....I've learned that my writers block goes away if I sit outside with a cup of coffee and a smoke. :)

I'm not justifying either habit/addiction, just admitting that they... (more »)

edwardcullen4always replied...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:08 pm :
Aha. You remind me of my granmother. i am visiting her for a few weeks and she drinks a pot of coffe in the morning and a pot at night while smoking.

Peace420 said...
Feb. 19, 2010 at 8:55 am:
Whatever. Coffee is not an addiction! People are just stupid to spend ten dollars at the coffee shop.
I love coffee!
I love Coca Cola!
Don't be hating on coffee because you think that coffee has made you addict.
Wake up hun and smell the roses... You don't know a thing about being addicted

Emmasmommy4610 replied...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 2:13 am :

Speaking from experience...

coffee IS an addiction. It's not the COFFEE, its the caffiene in the coffee, and it is an addiction.

Peace420 replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 7:52 pm :
Well that's good for you

QuestionAuthority1128 said...
The point of this article was a little confusing. Is the author trying to bash the coffee industry, get readers to stop drinking so much coffee, get readers to stop drinking expensive Starbucks coffee, or what? Coffee in large amounts is not good, but it does have health benefits. And other than wasting money I honestly don't see the harm that comes from the coffee shop being a social staple in our culture.

Dr.Truth said...
Nov. 15, 2009 at 12:04 am:
Coffee=Addiction?Seriously?I would like to think of it as a fetish or mental prob. instead.Just like a fetish its not like addictive to other regular people but only to a select few.But still people do create mental problems for no apparent reasons sooo.Also if its not an addiction why do people still get addicted just like if it was beer?