A Life Divided | Teen Ink

A Life Divided

May 9, 2018
By Anonymous

It is not easy having divorced parents. The lives of the parents are changed, and the life of the child is impacted greatly. The child is forced to live in two different households for the rest of his or her life. Custody is the hardest obstacle to overcome for both the parents and the child. Of course, both parents want to see their son or daughter all the time; but, the problem is determining when the mother will get her time with the child, and when the father will get his time. Usually, this decision is up to the parents and the court system; rarely is the child’s thoughts and feelings considered in the matter. The child may want to live with one parent over the other, or he or she may want to spend the weekends with one parent and the week with another. This could also spark a bit of tension and jealousy between the parents. No matter what one party wants over the other, it is always a struggle sharing time between divorced parents.


My solution is setting a concrete schedule where both parents get equal time with their child. The mother will get to spend Mondays, Wednesdays, and every other weekend with the child. Similarly, the father will get to spend Tuesdays, Thursdays, and every other weekend with the child. The schedule does not have to be exactly like the example, but something along the lines of the example would make a world of difference in the lives of both the parents and child. This way both parents will get to see their son or daughter for an equivalent amount of time.
            

There are several advantages of having a set schedule. First, there will be no more jealousy between the parents. The child does not have to choose a favorite to live with; therefore, none of the parents’ feeling will be hurt. The schedule will prevent tension and hatred between the mother and father.  Second, it spares the feelings of both parents if the child were to choose to live with one over the other. Third, it saves the time over arguing when the child will get to spend what day with which parent. Fourth, the courts do not have to force the child into the custody of one parent. This benefits both the courts and the parents because the judge does not have to fight with the parents over custody or scheduled visiting times, and the parents do not have to fight for their rights to see their son or daughter. Finally, the child will get to see both his or her parents all the time. My solution will help the parents and simplify the life of the child, so no one has to fight or struggle in any way.


The author's comments:

I have had first-hand experience with this topic. I feel emotionally connected to this piece because of my family dynamic. I hope others can find solace and understanding in the solutions presented.