Should Teenagers be Allowed to Wear Makeup? | Teen Ink

Should Teenagers be Allowed to Wear Makeup?

By ykim22 BRONZE, Ho Chi Minh City, Other
ykim22 BRONZE, Ho Chi Minh City, Other

Coco Chanel once said, “Girls should be two things: Classy and Fabulous” (Chanel).  For the modern woman and man, her quote represents the new era of contemporary feminism and modern aesthetics. Nowadays, due to the influences of social media, most of the teenage boys and girls are discouraged about their images. Teenagers are not satisfied with their impressions and want to alter their looks so numerous teenagers utilize makeup to enhance their appearances. Teenagers want to go beyond their bare faces and enhance their beauty to take a part in the society (Greenberg). For teenagers, makeup can be utilized for aesthetic, practical and artistic means.

Teenagers experience the importance of individuality; this means that teenagers don't want to look the same as the others and want to express themselves (Cartwright). Teenagers wear makeup to highlight their unique characters. If a teenager goes to the school where it is mandatory to wear school uniform and no makeup, all the students at the school will look the same - which teenagers do not prefer. Dr. Barbara Greenberg who is an adolescent clinical physiologist released a survey of teenagers wearing makeup. The result of the survey indicates that about 1 out of 5 girls, between the ages of 8 and 18, who do not wear makeup expressed that they feel visually unappealing and lacking in self-confidence. The major reason why teenagers lack confidence is that they have numerous facial imperfections. However, facial makeup can cover their facial complexions such as moles, freckles, and pimples (Greenberg). Societally deemed “abnormal” behaviors such as eating disorders and crimes of the adolescents are mostly caused by lack of self-confidence and low self-esteem (Manning). The use of facial cosmetics can boost the confidence and prevent dreadful behaviors.

Unlike arduous and long-term changes like diet, exercise, and plastic surgery, applying makeup can lead to quick and immediate improvements in the appearance. There are also different products and colors that teenagers can utilize to portray their own personal identities (Scott 3). This enhances the personal identity and society's beauty ideals. Dr. Vickery added that “Makeup can significantly change how people see you, how smart people think you are on the first impression, or how warm and approachable, and that look is completely within control, when there are so many things you cannot control” (Louis). This quote shows how teenagers and even adults can adjust the way people see themselves through facial makeup; perhaps they receive positive remarks from others.

Makeup can be useful for students’ practical needs. This writing conjures up the astonishing memories that I had with my friend, Emily, two years ago. She wore Harry Potter like round glasses, had freckles over her nose, and pimples on her forehead. Mischievous students were talking about her appearance, especially her red and swollen pimples. Even though the students did not talk in front of Emily’s face, she knew that everybody around her was talking about her. The upper-grade students even gave her the stank eye every time she passed the hallways. But after some minor beauty enhancements - Boom!

It was like the transformation of Cinderella.
An ugly girl transforms into a whole new beautiful girl:
No Harry Potter Glasses.
No freckles.
No pimples.
Just an elegant and smooth face.

Foundation covered up her facial complexions and her face shimmered like a lake in the sunlight. A little bit of rose-colored tint on her lips took everyone’s breath away. Not just beautiful, she was more confident with her face because she covered up her facial complexions and could project her identity more. No more embarrassment, humiliation, or other negative images!

Most people might argue that the ingredients inside the cosmetic products might be harmful to teenagers. These ingredients include Diazolidinyl urea and DMDM Hydantoin which are common ingredients - in many products - to make those preservatives. In addition, since teenagers often share their cosmetic products with other friends, it might cause some side effects like headaches, eye infections, hormone variations, aging and skin allergies (“10 Harmful Side”). However, the reason why people and teenagers are still using cosmetic products is that products nowadays are made appropriate for young children and are consistently using safe ingredients. In addition, in our modern 21st century, we are progressively improving our advanced technology to help enhance beauty.

Everyone wants to feel confident, comely, and competent and so do you. That is the major reason why more adolescents these days are starting to wear makeup. Wearing makeup doesn’t mean putting on five hundred layers of foundation or three-centimeter wide eyeliners. Wearing natural looking makeup, especially for students, can simply cover up their facial complexions; people can look more fabulous than usual. If you want to be confident, if you want to be yourself, show your identity through wearing makeup.

I wrote this piece of writing because girls at our school including myself started to get interested in wearing makeup to school. A lot of elder people think that wearing makeup is bad. However, I wanted to refute back that wearing makeup is actually useful and helpful to students.