Stop Cheating Yourself This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A student does not know any of the answers on a test. As he stares at the blank answer page, all the problems look blurry, and when the results come back, the student realizes that he failed. This is the situation for those who copy homework from others. They are not only cheating, they are not learning anything and will not be prepared for tests or quizzes. By using the work of others, they can ruin their grade as well as their future. It is not right to cheat when we all have the capability to do our own work. People should not receive rewards for the effort of others.

Most people have cheated at least once in their lives, whether it was for missed or incomplete work, or even just for credit that you didn’t deserve. But this is not right; in fact, it is unethical and unfair. Taking the work of others and using it as your own is not the right thing to do. It shows a lack of responsibility as well as a lack of knowledge. For example, if a student cheats using a classmate’s exam paper, he is taking credit for another’s work. If the tea-cher catches him, the consequences are usually failure.

Cheating by using the work of others is the same as ruining your life with drugs. It is not only unnecessary and foolish, it can also start to be addicting in many ways. If a student constantly cheats, then it may become a habit in the future. Besides, no one needs to cheat. We all have brains that we can use and also teachers, parents, and peers to help us. Anyway, it’s not like we will succeed in life if we continuously cheat. There is no need to ruin both your education and your life by cheating.

Cheaters usually suffer many consequences. In the beginning when the student is in grade school, cheating may only lead to losing credit and going to the principal’s office. In middle school, there will be Saturday detentions, suspensions, and even parent-teacher conferences. But in high school, college, and the rest of a person’s life, cheating will not be tolerated. If a college student uses a quote from a book or website and doesn’t cite where the information came from, that is plagiarism. This form of credit-taking does not just have minor consequences but can also land you in jail, ruin your record for certain jobs, tear apart your relationships with family and friends, and jeopardize your future.

Every day as you pass through a teen-infested hallway, there will be at least one person madly scribbling away on a piece of paper trying to match it with the one from their peers. This all can occur right before the bell signals the start of a new school day. Why do they have to do this? Will those extra 10 points have a huge impact on their grade and also remind them to do their homework in the future? The clear answer is no! Why can’t they just tell their teachers the truth? By copying, the cheater learns nothing and the teacher will never know if they copied their homework or if they did it themselves.

Of all things, taking credit for others’ work is not only unnecessary but quite unreasonable as well. If we all just do our work, then there is no need to cheat. We should make an effort for our education instead of taking the easy way out. But most important, if we all work hard instead of cheating, then everyone will live a prosperous and successful life.

jonas_chic899 said...
May 4, 2010 at 12:59 pm:
verry true :] u make a good point. i was usually the person to go: ugh fine, and let the other person look off my work heh oh well. i havent heard that in a long time tho

veritas said...
I agree completely and I really like how you were very to the point. Good writing.

little-miss-sunshine said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 4:16 pm:
I totally agree. People who cheat often think that there are people who are "smart" and people who are "dumb". You can't go from one to the other and you are what you are. However this is not true you just have to work hard and not give up.

spontaneous09 said...
Cheating is very unfair. Whether you're a sloppy cheater(if you know you don't have the brains for it, why do it? just work on improving your mind!) or a good cheater (you will come down in the end, do you care that assumptions are being made about you that no one would like to have?)

spontaneous09 said...
Yeah I have the same dilemma all the time. Usually, I either a) lie about it or b)just outright refuse to let them see my homework. I never think about their feelings. I always think about how I will feel afterward.

kakashi1992 said...
Dec. 23, 2009 at 11:54 am:
As a senior in high school, many of my classmates and I are applying to top colleges...our Economics teacher assigned us homework and my classmate didn't do the it. He asks me if I did the HW, and I answer in the affirmative... then he asks me for the answer.
During that moment, several things run through my head... Should I give him the answer and help him cheat? if I don't give him my homework to copy, that will jeopardize his grade in Economics which would ruin his chances of... (more »)

vejman replied...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 2:32 pm :
helped the kid out

jmm12349 replied...
Jan. 24, 2011 at 12:55 pm :
Personally, I would have helped him.  However, I understand your dilemma and respect you if your choice was to not give him the answers.

mathTeacher said...
Dec. 9, 2009 at 9:34 am:
I was looking for quotes today and found this page. Don't think that your teachers are unaware that you are cheating. It is just difficult to prove. Usually the ones that cheat from one another share identical papers with the lowest grades in the classroom. That is often punishment enough.

Sri P. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Excuse me? Teen-infested? Teenagers are not vermin

spontaneous09 said...
I totally agree. I won't look on anothers paper unless I am asking for help and have at least done work on it. Many do not realize the consequences of it. I mean in college you get expelled for things like this!

ChowD This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i had a friend that cheated her way through two grades... without anyone knowing. when we found out, we did everything to avoid her. to stop her. nothing could. we told teachers. we made her sit in the corner alone. she would always find a way to cheat. it is a very very bad habit. and very unpredictable because it is like putting your education in someone else's hands and saying "do what you will."
i agree 100%

splinteredsunlight replied...
Mar. 8, 2011 at 3:38 pm :
Really? What kind of a friend is that? You're perfectly entitled to your own opinion, and well within your right to not let her copy from you, but whether she's going to cheat or not is her decision. If you think not cheating is the better option, then choose that for yourself, and you can feel good about believing you made the right choice, but it's really none of your business what your friend chooses to do. Everyone has differing opinions, and it seems to me that your inability to consider so... (more »)

ChowD This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 1:50 pm :
I never said that anyone else's opinion was less important than my own; I simply said that her actions were unethical. In the school I attended when I was friends with her not only the cheating students were expelled, but also the person they cheated off of. So it really did concern me. Call me selfish, but I'll never be willing to sacrifice my education for the sake of some stupid girl who chooses not to take advantage of the amazing opportunities we are given daily, but instead spends her time... (more »)

splinteredsunlight replied...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 6:44 pm :
But that's her business. If you don't want to cheat, then that's your choice, but if she does, then it's hers. Perhaps it's the wrong choice, but that's up to her. You can believe it's wrong all you want, but why would you tell your teachers? Her cheating wasn't harming you, and you obviously weren't helping to improve her life, if cheaters got expelled. It seems futile and petty. You should always have your friends' backs regardless of their choices.

Tyger replied...
Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:51 am :
Splintered,  I think it would be good to remind you that Chow did make her own decision too.  She chose that she would tell the teachers about that person.  That's not for us to tell her that what she did is right or wrong, sure, you don't like that when it happens to you, and nor do I.  But get this: Accept the consequences of your actions BEFORE you do it, if possible; realize what you are doing and THEN make your choice.  It shouldn't be a surprise to see the conseque... (more »)

Inkspired said...
This article makes a really good point! I agree with you, copying is pointless and will just lose you more than it gains you. Great job!