Stop Cheating Yourself This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A student does not know any of the answers on a test. As he stares at the blank answer page, all the problems look blurry, and when the results come back, the student realizes that he failed. This is the situation for those who copy homework from others. They are not only cheating, they are not learning anything and will not be prepared for tests or quizzes. By using the work of others, they can ruin their grade as well as their future. It is not right to cheat when we all have the capability to do our own work. People should not receive rewards for the effort of others.

Most people have cheated at least once in their lives, whether it was for missed or incomplete work, or even just for credit that you didn’t deserve. But this is not right; in fact, it is unethical and unfair. Taking the work of others and using it as your own is not the right thing to do. It shows a lack of responsibility as well as a lack of knowledge. For example, if a student cheats using a classmate’s exam paper, he is taking credit for another’s work. If the tea-cher catches him, the consequences are usually failure.

Cheating by using the work of others is the same as ruining your life with drugs. It is not only unnecessary and foolish, it can also start to be addicting in many ways. If a student constantly cheats, then it may become a habit in the future. Besides, no one needs to cheat. We all have brains that we can use and also teachers, parents, and peers to help us. Anyway, it’s not like we will succeed in life if we continuously cheat. There is no need to ruin both your education and your life by cheating.

Cheaters usually suffer many consequences. In the beginning when the student is in grade school, cheating may only lead to losing credit and going to the principal’s office. In middle school, there will be Saturday detentions, suspensions, and even parent-teacher conferences. But in high school, college, and the rest of a person’s life, cheating will not be tolerated. If a college student uses a quote from a book or website and doesn’t cite where the information came from, that is plagiarism. This form of credit-taking does not just have minor consequences but can also land you in jail, ruin your record for certain jobs, tear apart your relationships with family and friends, and jeopardize your future.

Every day as you pass through a teen-infested hallway, there will be at least one person madly scribbling away on a piece of paper trying to match it with the one from their peers. This all can occur right before the bell signals the start of a new school day. Why do they have to do this? Will those extra 10 points have a huge impact on their grade and also remind them to do their homework in the future? The clear answer is no! Why can’t they just tell their teachers the truth? By copying, the cheater learns nothing and the teacher will never know if they copied their homework or if they did it themselves.

Of all things, taking credit for others’ work is not only unnecessary but quite unreasonable as well. If we all just do our work, then there is no need to cheat. We should make an effort for our education instead of taking the easy way out. But most important, if we all work hard instead of cheating, then everyone will live a prosperous and successful life.

AshleyP said...

yes yes yes. totally agree.

great article!

Danica said...
Oh my goodness i totally agree! Apparently no one else at my school does, though, because EVERYONE cheats! It drives me nuts. Thank you for writing this :)

SnickerLover said...
Jul. 31, 2010 at 11:22 am:
wooww... awesome work!!

Superdooper said...
Jul. 31, 2010 at 2:01 am:
This is completely true. I am glad you wrote this. Now I can show some people this artical who cheat and make their life less of a failure!

HAWKEYESTATE4ever said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 3:00 pm:

"Cheating by using the work of others is the same as ruining your life with drugs."

That is probably one of the worst statements I've ever read.

Yeah, because injecting yourself with illegal substances that could kill you and others is exactly the same as not knowing trivial facts that will never be useful later in life and looking at someone's paper to get them.

sweet_silent_surenity replied...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 4:43 pm :
lol... That's so true. I agree totally.

VanillaPanda replied...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 9:21 pm :

To be fair, it isn't a completely unreasonable statement. Copying off others teaches you absolutely nothing, and just worsens your grades. People go to school to learn. If you are there, and you cheat you do not learn anything.

By the end of school, if your lucky and have not gotten caught, in your adult life your going to be an incompetent, lying drain on society. Cheating is not as easy in university. People need to learn that it won't get them anywhere.

sweet_silent_surenity replied...
Jul. 10, 2010 at 12:47 am :
True, it's not smart. Neither of these things are. I get it. They both destroy your future slowly. I agree, but you have to admit that the paper could have done without this line. They are similar, but not enough to be abel to say they are even in the same boat, let alone the "same thing".

VanillaPanda replied...
Jul. 10, 2010 at 12:53 am :
The article could have been done without the line, but perhaps the author thought she should include some kind of reference or similiarity between cheating and another issue. Maybe she could have said "Cheating by using the work of others is similiar to ruining your life with drugs"

sweet_silent_surenity replied...
Jul. 10, 2010 at 12:58 am :

That would have been a better use of words, because in that case the comparison would have been between the way both issues ruin the lives of those who partake in them, rather than the issues themselves.

VanillaPanda replied...
Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:01 am :
Yep. Thats right. (:

sweet_silent_surenity replied...
Jul. 10, 2010 at 1:04 am :

Did we just have a discussion and end up finding out that our opinions were the same, because I love it when that happens. ^^

VanillaPanda replied...
Jul. 11, 2010 at 7:16 pm :
Yes I think so. How satisfying.

sweet_silent_surenity replied...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:20 am :
indeed  =3

lszyman96 said...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 11:51 am:
i agree with some of the things in the article....

dinotrauma said...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 10:02 am:

Honey, life is not fair.

A teacher of mine that has recently retired told us this, "cheating is learning." Its learning how not to cheat, how to cheat well, and possible if you are half of an honest person, how to learn what you are doing wrong.

I have seen kids drawl on their stomachs, arms, and desks, and I've been told private school girls write on their thighs under their skirts. Today we can’t be anything but perfect. Schools run based on test scores, and nothing else... (more »)

K9_Typical_Islander replied...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 8:28 pm :

Yeah, I can very much relate to what you have said, especially the second part being about "cheating is learning".

My friends and I were once like that in middle school- junior high-, cheat on tests with essay questions, but then one day we just talked about it and decided to help each other out of that bad habit.

We thought about high school and how we would be moving schools and how that habit of ours would impact us academically.

We cheated well and never got cau... (more »)

MercedesXO replied...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 9:30 pm :
yeah i agree with you dinotrauma. everything you said is really smart and soooo true. and to just second one of the things you brought up. teachers DO cheat a lot for students. it seems like such a weird thing..but its true. so we.re not the only ones at fault.

DaisyC. said...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 8:18 am:
Hmmm...I agree and disagree. Wondeful writting though :)

charzard said...
May 26, 2010 at 9:12 am:
this is a great article! very true.