Stop Cheating Yourself This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A student does not know any of the answers on a test. As he stares at the blank answer page, all the problems look blurry, and when the results come back, the student realizes that he failed. This is the situation for those who copy homework from others. They are not only cheating, they are not learning anything and will not be prepared for tests or quizzes. By using the work of others, they can ruin their grade as well as their future. It is not right to cheat when we all have the capability to do our own work. People should not receive rewards for the effort of others.

Most people have cheated at least once in their lives, whether it was for missed or incomplete work, or even just for credit that you didn’t deserve. But this is not right; in fact, it is unethical and unfair. Taking the work of others and using it as your own is not the right thing to do. It shows a lack of responsibility as well as a lack of knowledge. For example, if a student cheats using a classmate’s exam paper, he is taking credit for another’s work. If the tea-cher catches him, the consequences are usually failure.

Cheating by using the work of others is the same as ruining your life with drugs. It is not only unnecessary and foolish, it can also start to be addicting in many ways. If a student constantly cheats, then it may become a habit in the future. Besides, no one needs to cheat. We all have brains that we can use and also teachers, parents, and peers to help us. Anyway, it’s not like we will succeed in life if we continuously cheat. There is no need to ruin both your education and your life by cheating.

Cheaters usually suffer many consequences. In the beginning when the student is in grade school, cheating may only lead to losing credit and going to the principal’s office. In middle school, there will be Saturday detentions, suspensions, and even parent-teacher conferences. But in high school, college, and the rest of a person’s life, cheating will not be tolerated. If a college student uses a quote from a book or website and doesn’t cite where the information came from, that is plagiarism. This form of credit-taking does not just have minor consequences but can also land you in jail, ruin your record for certain jobs, tear apart your relationships with family and friends, and jeopardize your future.

Every day as you pass through a teen-infested hallway, there will be at least one person madly scribbling away on a piece of paper trying to match it with the one from their peers. This all can occur right before the bell signals the start of a new school day. Why do they have to do this? Will those extra 10 points have a huge impact on their grade and also remind them to do their homework in the future? The clear answer is no! Why can’t they just tell their teachers the truth? By copying, the cheater learns nothing and the teacher will never know if they copied their homework or if they did it themselves.

Of all things, taking credit for others’ work is not only unnecessary but quite unreasonable as well. If we all just do our work, then there is no need to cheat. We should make an effort for our education instead of taking the easy way out. But most important, if we all work hard instead of cheating, then everyone will live a prosperous and successful life.

splinteredsunlight said...
Mar. 8, 2011 at 4:03 pm:
I don't think this is always true. Cheating, I think, can be either right or wrong on a case-by-case basis. It depends on what matters to you. For example, my favorite subject is English, and my writing means a lot to me. When I get out of high school, I want to write books and be either a journalist or an English teacher. I know that my performance, effort and how much I learn in my English and journalism classes will directly correlate with how well I do in college and my career success as an ... (more »)

Wordgasm said...
Why must you flame on TeenInk? Do you really have nothing else to do with you life?

Wordgasm replied...
Jan. 24, 2011 at 7:13 pm :
This was meant to be a reply to Ilovecheating's message below.

LastChapter said...
how is cheating--though very wrong, i agree--on the same level as abusing drugs in any way shape or form. completely different in both state of mind when in use, and the later consequences, they really have nothing whatsoever in common.

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i agree with you 100%....But i learned to let it go...i know its annoying when good things happen to them and not you but in the end, you are the better person and know you deserved what you got..!

starrr7 said...
I am just honestly curious...i totally agree with what you are saying...but so have you never ever once cheated???????

lovevpets said...
Another thing, a friend of mine asked someone next to her if she had an answer right on her test.  He said no, so she changed it, and in doing so got the wrong answer.  Cheating really doesn't work.

vejman said...
I happen to completely disagree, an i also happen to be "smart" as in, in the 99th percentile on all standardised test, without cheating. However, the only homework assignments I pass in are the ones i copy. and it is stuck-up and prudish to tell someone thata they cant cheat off you. I know all of the answers, i just dont have the time or the energy to do them out. i wouldn't get into a good college if i didnt "cheat"

PurpleFeather replied...
Nov. 18, 2010 at 4:30 pm :
If someone else seese you as stuck up or prudish just because you refuse to help them cheat, it is their problem. What you are doing by copying off of other people is unfair to all ofthe other students who take the time do the homework correctly and by their own efforts. I bet everybody esle is as busy is you, yet they soemhow find the time to do the homework themselves. I think you are wrong and cheating is wrong.

PurpleFeather replied...
Nov. 18, 2010 at 4:32 pm :
Another note: Do you seriously think it is impossible to get into a good college without cheating? People do it everyday.

lovevpets replied...
Nov. 18, 2010 at 4:53 pm :
I completely agree with this article.  Copying on anything is wrong.   Even homework.  If you are always cheating on homework, it will make your grade better, but you won't know the material.  Every day tons of people get into college fairly without cheating.  If you can't pass homework without cheating, you need to get help.  Cheating will hurt you in the long run.  Besides, if you do get into college by cheating, everything suddenly becomes a whole lot h... (more »)

AmandaPanda123 replied...
Jan. 1, 2011 at 8:57 pm :
I don't think that it is stuck-up or prudish to tell someone that they can't cheat off of you...at all. I know that when someone asks if they can copy my homework, I feel like they're cheating themselves out of actually doing the work like everyone else in the class. It's not fair to us if that person gets to not do any of the work. The best thing to do is to do your own work instead of copying on anything-tests or homework.  

jmm12349 replied...
Jan. 24, 2011 at 12:37 pm :
Perhaps the reason you get such good grades is because you cheat off of others.  I find it hard to believe you are "smart" when your post is littered with grammar mistakes.  I'm not claiming that I've never cheated before, but I don't make a habit of it.  You should get into a good college because you actually TRY, not because you take credit for other's work.

C.Pearl replied...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 5:52 pm :
There are a lot of smart people. Yes, scoring in the 99th percentile is impressive, but will it get you through life? No. When you get a job, no one cares about how well you did on some tests. They care about how much effort and time you're willing to put into it, in addition to your level of intelligence. And, this is not something you can pick up over night. Time management and working hard are acquired skills. I'm sure that you are smart, however; in the long run this may not serve you as wel... (more »)

Briii said...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 11:28 am:
great article. (: i agreeee .

formann said...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 11:27 am:

i totally agree. this is so true. nice descripting words

Corinna Z. said...
Oct. 27, 2010 at 11:05 am:

i agree with this article .

you also have lots of details . (:

Imaginedangerous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Something the article didn't point out- social pressure to cheat. If I did the assignment and someone else just needs one or two answers, I'm a jerk if I don't share (because 'that's cheating'). By seventh period, half the school knows how rude, selfish, and stuck up I am.

PurpleFeather replied...
Nov. 18, 2010 at 4:27 pm :

Imaginedangerous,

If others are angry with you because you refuse to do the right thing, it is their problem. Don't let peer pressure trick you into doing something you know isn't right. If you stand firm and state your reasons why you feel that cheating is wrong, poeple won't bother you, they'll respect you.

AmandaPanda123 replied...
Jan. 1, 2011 at 8:59 pm :
I totally agree with PurpleFeather!