Stop Cheating Yourself This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A student does not know any of the answers on a test. As he stares at the blank answer page, all the problems look blurry, and when the results come back, the student realizes that he failed. This is the situation for those who copy homework from others. They are not only cheating, they are not learning anything and will not be prepared for tests or quizzes. By using the work of others, they can ruin their grade as well as their future. It is not right to cheat when we all have the capability to do our own work. People should not receive rewards for the effort of others.

Most people have cheated at least once in their lives, whether it was for missed or incomplete work, or even just for credit that you didn’t deserve. But this is not right; in fact, it is unethical and unfair. Taking the work of others and using it as your own is not the right thing to do. It shows a lack of responsibility as well as a lack of knowledge. For example, if a student cheats using a classmate’s exam paper, he is taking credit for another’s work. If the tea-cher catches him, the consequences are usually failure.

Cheating by using the work of others is the same as ruining your life with drugs. It is not only unnecessary and foolish, it can also start to be addicting in many ways. If a student constantly cheats, then it may become a habit in the future. Besides, no one needs to cheat. We all have brains that we can use and also teachers, parents, and peers to help us. Anyway, it’s not like we will succeed in life if we continuously cheat. There is no need to ruin both your education and your life by cheating.

Cheaters usually suffer many consequences. In the beginning when the student is in grade school, cheating may only lead to losing credit and going to the principal’s office. In middle school, there will be Saturday detentions, suspensions, and even parent-teacher conferences. But in high school, college, and the rest of a person’s life, cheating will not be tolerated. If a college student uses a quote from a book or website and doesn’t cite where the information came from, that is plagiarism. This form of credit-taking does not just have minor consequences but can also land you in jail, ruin your record for certain jobs, tear apart your relationships with family and friends, and jeopardize your future.

Every day as you pass through a teen-infested hallway, there will be at least one person madly scribbling away on a piece of paper trying to match it with the one from their peers. This all can occur right before the bell signals the start of a new school day. Why do they have to do this? Will those extra 10 points have a huge impact on their grade and also remind them to do their homework in the future? The clear answer is no! Why can’t they just tell their teachers the truth? By copying, the cheater learns nothing and the teacher will never know if they copied their homework or if they did it themselves.

Of all things, taking credit for others’ work is not only unnecessary but quite unreasonable as well. If we all just do our work, then there is no need to cheat. We should make an effort for our education instead of taking the easy way out. But most important, if we all work hard instead of cheating, then everyone will live a prosperous and successful life.

theatregirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 28, 2013 at 8:43 pm:
This very good start, but the formatting is weird. U dont follow a clear format and the paper doesn't seem to have structure. The difference between a persuasive essay and a rant is simply formatting. For example if were u, I format it like this 1.introduction -example of kid copy of peers, cheating test 2. Paragraph 1 :the facts -talking about how everyone cheats 3. The opinion -how u believe cheating is wrong 4 the evidence -what the consequence of cheating are. This is generally a good fo... (more »)

life? said...
May 6, 2013 at 10:19 am:
Whoever wrote this doesnt understand that people dislike being lectured like a child on cheating honestly you got to do what you got to do and everyone has there own oppinion therefore this is a very biased passage based on if it is right to do acoording to someones heart.

theatregirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 28, 2013 at 8:47 pm :
Dude, THIS IS IN THE FREAKING OPINION SECTION!! OF COURSE IT WILL BE BIAS!! If u want to see both side of story, then don't look at the opinion section. And honestly, I going to be bias and say they are right. There is absolutely no excuse for academic cheating, it just create a cycle of cheating. Not everyone will get caught and punish and loose their scholarship to Harvard or whatever but eventually, your going get a slap on face when actually have do something on your own.Why set yourself u... (more »)

dziabula said...
this is really inspireing

sally sushine said...
Oct. 22, 2012 at 8:19 am:
yes, cheating is wrong to do ,but if you do cheat then you probably didn't get caught yet... so just think of how many people that have to work so hard to keep their grade up ,andf that their parent will not have to fuss at them.

imalwayswrite53This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Thank you Harold for writting this, I had a bad expirience with cheating, it was freshman year and I was so excited for english class (duh!) but when i got there every single kid in the class hated reading and writting, there were about 5 kids in the class who did all the work and everyone else copied the answers, I honestly hope we can come together and change this. make sure to vary your word choice and remeber just because it's long does not mean it's good, keep up the great work :)

Tyger said...
Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:10 am:

Cheating, Schmeating... Rule #1: no cheating.  Rule #2: No helping cheaters.  Rule #3: There are consequences for breaking rule #2+3.

Ethics (eHow): Ethics, also called moral responsibility, is a set of principles that governs an individual or group. Ethics provides a framework for making decisions.

So... personal ethics are what we define as good and bad on a personal level, and social ethics are what society defines as good and bad. Bre... (more »)

suman said...
Mar. 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm:
you are tottaly write.I appriciate u because of what u say.

dziabula1234 replied...
Oct. 22, 2012 at 12:43 pm :
this is really inspireing

wefsvg45 said...
Dec. 26, 2011 at 7:20 am:
forex Totally, the actual write-up is really the very best in that will worthwhile matter. I really fit in jointly with your results and certainly am going to keenly seem to be toward your own upcoming

Peace<3:)* said...
This is great news but it doesn't help me on my essay, i have to do 1 on cheating, why do people cheat? just to make me right this stupid essay?!!!???!!

readlovewriteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 10:28 am:
I agree with everything you say, butt an additional thing about cheating, is that if you do get away with cheating, you may become a business man, or a doctor, or a veterinarian, you will not know how to do your job, and will then fail and your life will be messed up forever.

Naomi518 said...
I agree with you except that teachers give waaaay too much work.  If the teachers gave a reasonable ammount of work, there would be a lot less pressure to cheat.

LifeWriteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 6:24 pm:
I agree with you, but just because you don't cheat doesn't mean you will necessarily live a prosperous and successful life--it's about the many sides there are to you as a person. I wrote an article very similar to this one called "Lost Education?" I'd really appreciate it if you could take a look at it and give me some feedback.

moomoocow said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 4:38 pm:
This article is so true! But the people who cheat in highschool probably aren't going to stop their. They'll probably cheat in college too because it will be a habit by then. If your always copying someone elses answers you aren't learning anything. Is it really worth it?

Jesusisalive said...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 5:46 pm:
Cheating is wrong no matter how you look at it. You are claiming someone else's work as your own. When you cheat, you are not just copying somone else's answers, you are also lying. When teachers look at you work, they think it is your own, and by them thinking that you are lying to them. Also, the things you cheat on you may need to know how to do those things later on in your life. What if you got a job where you needed to know something that you should have learned in school but you cheate... (more »)

The~Watcher said...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 4:27 pm:

One of the biggest problems with cheating is that there's a lot of gray area. Sure, it's wrong to cut-and-paste someone else's essay. But is it wrong to help a classmate on an assignment if the teacher didn't specifically forbid it? What if you lend them your notes on that video because they were sick? What if the teacher won't put forth any effort to help the students?

I decided a few months ago to quit completely. I have to deal with the issue of whether I'm cheating at all or not ev... (more »)

Fran94 said...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 3:38 pm:
I truly agree with you that cheating is really wrong. I don't care what other people say here. Cheating is wrong. It is too risky to cheat and it does NOT help you. Cheating will get you nowhere. You only get somewhere if you work hard and follow the rules. Other than that, this is a really good article. I really liked it. Very informative with an attention-grabbing opening. Keep writing wonderful essays!

writtenfire14 said...
Mar. 8, 2011 at 8:59 pm:
I, in addition to many people who have commented on this article, don't think cheating is as wrong as you say it is. But I don't exactly think it is a good thing either. I will admit, I have cheated, I have let my friends, and sometimes even people who aren't really my friends, cheat off me, without any guilt. From day one in your school career, you are taught cheating is wrong, cheating is wrong. But is it really? Is it really that bad? I don't think so. What's the point of focussing on somethi... (more »)

purplelessskin replied...
Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:11 pm :
If there is a class that really doesn't interest you and you truly believe does not benefit you, it is okay not to care about it. But in that case you should be truthful and not pretend that you are working hard in that class when you are really taking credit you don't deserve. If you care about a high GPA or straight A's, you should work for it.