3 Things That Everyone Hates About Technology | Teen Ink

3 Things That Everyone Hates About Technology

By VibhaRamesh BRONZE, Mason, Ohio
VibhaRamesh BRONZE, Mason, Ohio

Hate is a strong word, I’m told. By the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, Hate can be defined as, “extreme dislike or disgust”. I’m sure that all of us can think about something that we extremely dislike or feel disgusted about. No matter which language you speak, or where you’re from, there is at least one thing that you feel animosity towards. One language that we all understand, however, is the language of technology. Technology is probably high up on all of our lists in terms of how much it annoys us. What if I told you that I could come up with a list of 3 things that I hate based solely off of technology?

It’s not an incredibly difficult thing to ask, what with how many devices we rely on today. Smartphones and Tablets and Electronic Assistants like Siri and Alexa and Cortana along with HomePods and Amazon Echos and even electronic maids, Roombas. I’ve had my fair share of issues with technology, trust me. I’ve had so many instances where I’ve had to fiddle with my data to try and get more bars, and I’ve cracked my screen more than you can imagine.

Well, let’s get on with it.

Bad WiFi. We depend on WiFi for everything, just because we depend on our phones for everything. You know when you see the curved lines fade, bad times are ahead. Most of our time on our phones is spent on the internet, or on social media, for both of which, WiFi is good to have. If we don’t have WiFi, what are we supposed to do? Interact with other human beings? Play an actual board game with actual metal pieces and an actual cardboard game board?

Buffering. Whether we’re using YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, or literally anything else (Sometimes people pirate videos to watch them! SHHH!), we’ve all seen that buffering symbol. What’s a buffering symbol, you may ask? It’s that one circle composed of the lines pointing outward, and the white travels around those lines in a circle. YEAH, THAT’s the buffering symbol. If the buffering symbol stays on your screen too long, you probably ending up doing what I do. You get bored and decide to randomly start your onslaught on the keys or the screen, hoping that the buffering screen goes away. Or, an alternate option, you keep clicking out of the screen you’re at, hoping that each new time that you re-enter the page, magically it will work. Sadly, these are not surefire ways to ensure your success in getting rid of that buffering symbol (If only they were). This symbol drives us to the end of our wits! That’s why so many people find it irritating. Irritating enough to label it as something they HATE.

Moving on, let’s talk about the third thing everyone hates.

Low battery. The only thing Low Battery’s good for is for taking those stupid quizzes on Instagram about which type of jealous person you are based on the percentage of your battery. It seems like one second ago, my battery was at 80%, and one click of an app later, I’m staring at the “low battery” warning that pops up. Next thing I know, I look up at the rectangular battery icon, and I see a measly 15% staring back up at me. It’s like my phone had a seizure and ran out of energy. I DIDN’T EVEN TOUCH ANYTHING! Most of us have experienced a situation like this, giving plenty of reason for me to put this on the “3 Things Everyone Hates” List.

Even if you haven’t experienced any of these things (which I don’t get because if you’re normal, you should have), you can still come up with a list of things you hate. Whether it be about the SKY HIGH prices at McDonald’s or the drive that’s too long from downtown to the suburbs, everybody has something that they AT LEAST merely dislike.

Being a teenager in this generation is hard. We tend to get consumed entirely by the tiny devices in our hands. With chances like these, it's completely possible to start growing a dislike to them. What are some things we hate about technology? Let's find out.