Somewhat Sneaky | Teen Ink

Somewhat Sneaky

March 5, 2018
By Carolinecheatham GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
Carolinecheatham GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A couple of Hershey’s kisses or a mini pack of Nerds? What a decision! My uncontrollable sweet tooth made my mother monitor at all times how much sugar I consumed. My seven-year-old self covered my tiny face with my even tinier hand and swirled the other in to my Easter basket on the kitchen table. Out came a Hershey’s kiss, and I was granted one more.

 

Satisfied with my afternoon dessert, I plopped back on the couch and resumed my episode of Hannah Montana. It was my favorite episode- Miley was about to reveal to everyone that she doubled as a super star. As I was unwrapping my second piece of chocolate my mom opened the back door and began to head out to talk on the dock with her friend. I placed the Kiss in my mouth and began to chew until I realized how much I wanted one of those little packs of Nerds. Being the golden child I thought I was, I shook off the idea and concentrated back on my show. But it was just a pack of Nerds, it wasn’t going to kill me right?


Now was the time to make my move. I took one more careful look at the dock to make sure that my mom wasn’t going to move any time soon, and jumped off the couch. I tip-toed down past the glass doors to outside and in to the kitchen even though I knew I was not going to be heard. I snatched my pack of Nerds and ran over to the TV. I stood right in front of the TV and slowly enjoyed my Nerds.


Before I knew it the back door was creaking open and my mom and her friend began to chatter inside. I stealthily turned off the TV, stuffed the empty box of nerds under my shirt, and hurried I to my room. Shutting the door behind me, I was almost completely sure I pulled my secret off. My bedroom wasn’t too far from the living room, so I could hear my mother’s conversation perfectly. Everything was going smoothly until I heard nothing.

 

Normally the quiet was nice- but this was scary. I could feel in my gut that something bad was about to happen. As my heart began to pound I heard, “Honey, would you come out here for a second?”


I walked out to see my mother in front of the TV, on top of a mess of pink and purple Nerds on the carpet. I looked down in shame. My mom began to yell at me for what seemed like forever and I was sent to my room for the first time. As a seven-year-old with a pretty good life, this seemed like the worst day ever. The only thing that would make it better? Another pack of Nerds.


The author's comments:

This piece is written about a childhood "sin". This was the first real lie I ever went through with, but came along with a funny story.