Media | Teen Ink

Media

awkward.unethical.vegetarian BRONZE, Holt, Michigan

As time goes on, technology improves. Many people use it to communicate with others, like through the internet or via phone. Social media is almost required to keep in contact with distant relatives nowadays. The vast majority of people in the USA have probably had a Facebook account. As such, in my life, social media is the most prominent source of media.

I primarily use it to socialize with different people than I normally would in my day-to-day life. For example, I have a friend from Germany through Tumblr. Another example is my boyfriend, who lives in Ypsilanti. Simply put, in my day-to-day life, I would never have met them, or in my boyfriend's case, keep in contact with him.
However, I also use it to write. I tend to roleplay a lot online, which is where you make a character and chat with other characters, generally in a forum or chatroom. I have also delved into writing fanfiction, which has greatly improved my writing skills and helped me analyze characters in fiction. Actually, being able to delve into a character's motivations, desires, and fears has helped me in many English classes. Writing has become a big part of my life.

Finally, I use it to vent. When I'm upset, I can vent about it freely online. Putting my thoughts into words really helps me calm down. Plus, I'll usually get a reassuring pat on the shoulder through a like.

Technology has vastly grown, and has helped many people. Social media is the way it helped me. Maybe it helped others in a different way, who knows?