The Mayor | Teen Ink

The Mayor

One day, I was walking with my friend, just hanging out.  Some lady came over and asked me if she could borrow a dollar to take the bus to work.  I gave her the money and she walked away.  I felt like I was doing a good thing when I gave her the money.  And then the lady who worked in the cell phone store came out to talk to me and told me that the lady who asked me for money does that all the time.  “One time she told me something about her kids being in a fire” she said.  She makes up excuses all the time to get money.  I learned that you can’t trust the poor. 

If I were mayor, I would make a place for them in town, like a hotel for the homeless, where they can sign up for it and get food and stay the night. 

I would hire security and a metal detector so there’s nothing bad going on in their rooms.  And they can only sign up 2 times a week.

I would make business cards and flyers to bring volunteers and make donation funds to help make it happen. I would advertise on commercials to form a group to have meetings. I would have a block party for the homeless to make them feel welcomed and interested also to make them feel like they have hope to survive. I would hope if the homeless business works it will expand.

This is so important that the homeless will be in shelter because it will benefit the outside world along with the homeless themselves. I don't want anyone to have to go through what I went through because panhandlers can really change your mind on how you see/feel about the homeless like I did.