If I Were Mayor... | Teen Ink

If I Were Mayor...

By ParallelPenguin BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
ParallelPenguin BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

If I had the chance to be mayor my first order of business would be legalizing marijuana for recreational and medical use. Keeping it illegal is the most nonsensical thing I have ever heard. Having weed illegal causes a lot of people to be incarcerated each year due to possession, which comes out of everyone’s taxes. If it were legal the usage would go down as well as jail time for possessing the substance.

My next order of business as mayor of my city would be to lower the drinking age to 19. I believe if you’re old enough to go into the military you are old enough to drink. On top of that, there would be a lot of money saved due to what would be underage drinking would now be legal and non-criminal. Making the drinking age 19 would also lower the thrill of underage drinking so it would be less exciting and lose part of the fun. There are fewer drunk driving accidents in countries with the drinking age lower than 21. Keep in mind Wisconsin has a ton of drunk driving accidents each year and we have the drinking age set at 21.

Lastly, in my town obesity would not be a disease. I’ve been reading that some consider fatness being a disease. It ,in my opinion, would fall under the same category as smoking and drinking. This so called “disease” is self caused. This is what I would do if I were to be mayor.

I made it with my fingers.