If I Were Mayor | Teen Ink

If I Were Mayor

November 13, 2017
By cmccance1 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
cmccance1 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

If you were to elect me as mayor of Waukesha County, I would listen to your complaints. By doing this, I would be able to steer my potential programs and ideas into the direction of what the people want. In addition to addressing your suggestions, I have five ideas for Waukesha County that I would enforce:


1.    I would ensure safety throughout Waukesha County to promote a safer community. I would have heightened police out during the night hours, since a majority of the crime in Waukesha County takes place at night.
     According to NeighborhoodScout, Waukesha, Wisconsin, violent crime, on a scale from 1, which is low crime, to 100, which is high crime, is 29. I would establish neighborhood watch, in neighborhood’s throughout Waukesha County. If a person were to see something suspicious, they would be told to call the police. From another place I have lived, the neighborhood watch was extremely successful, because the citizens were on the lookout for crime.


2.   A Waukesha County Community Center would also be a top priority. A community center would be available for children’s events, as well as different groups for adults. The community center could be a vital part of the Waukesha community, because it will be able to bring people together. To fund the community center, I plan on applying for federal grants. Fundraising would also be a plan to receive money, including accepting donations.
A large aspect of the Waukesha County Community Center would be activities for teenagers on the weekends. Many teenagers are falling into the pressure of drugs and alcohol. According to CBS News, 78 percent of U.S. teens had drank alcohol and 81 percent of teens said they had the opportunity to use illicit substances, so a teen center would allow them to keep themselves busy on the weekends. Movie nights and other activities would keep teenagers occupied in a safe way.


3.    Waukesha County needs to have more community festivals. This would allow families to spend time with each other, as well as the citizens of Waukesha County to bond with each other. Community festivals would also bring people from other counties to participate, which could bring revenue into our county. Community festivals would be sponsored by local business.


4.    Waukesha County should also have community celebrations for different holidays. For example, at the Waukesha County tree lighting, there should be more events for children. Games and activities would draw more people into the event. This would bring more families together.


5.    I would bring more businesses into Waukesha County to entice people to work in our area. 4% of people in Waukesha County are unemployed. By bringing more businesses into the county, many people that are unemployed would have the opportunity to get a job close to home. This would ensure that people would stay in Waukesha County, since their jobs are near them.

 

The new plans will be enforced within the first two years that I will be mayor. I will ensure that if you would like other changes, that I will make plans to bring other new, reasonable changes to Waukesha County. I will make sure to go out into the community and find out your opinions on the changes I have made to Waukesha County.