If I Were Mayor of My Town | Teen Ink

If I Were Mayor of My Town

By Blackco741 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Blackco741 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

"Information and consistency and my two best friends." -Julia Sajdowitz

In the words of the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama, “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” This would be an important sentence that I would live by as mayor. There are candidates that talk about great plans for their town…but once I get elected, I plan on keeping my word and working on issues such as quick and efficient road repairs, simple and effective school budgets, and more entertainment options. Starting with these issues can make our area a lot more efficient.

When I talk about quick and efficient, I know there are examples that come into your minds of current road construction that’s exactly the opposite. There are some examples of road construction that have gone on for years! This is irresponsible as a city and adds stress onto the hard working citizens of our city. I propose that before any work can be done to any public roadways, all the resources/funds will be raised for the area that is proposed to be worked on. This will prevent delays to the work and will make the job easier to be completed. We shall keep the public informed on what will be worked on through different platforms, such as radio and social media for months before work begins: when roads or need to closed off, the citizens who will be affected will make proper the proper changes. For instances such closed highway entrances/exits, there will be signs put up miles before the exit that inform any passers by of the work being done and what exits should be taken instead; this can avoid sudden stress for people in the area or out of town visitors who would not have easy access to informational resources.

Now, for my next point, I know  community members who have currently enrolled in school or have children in the education systems locally available, either public or private. For those currently getting educated, I want to ask you…do you know how much your school is spending on departments or extracurricular activities? How about how much the school spends on items such as Epipens and First Aid kits each year? For adults and children alike, it's hard for them to tell exactly what happens in the school they are involved in. With teachers confused or overwhelmed by their own school’s budget, imagine how a new parent feels trying to be informed their child’s school: how much a school prioritizes their arts department or spend on sports can mean a great to some. This is why I advise that we create a new system of outlines formulated by local teachers and select parent group that is heavily involved in their local schools. This will help to be able to create a documented system that is easy for the people who need it the most to help make it more understandable to all.

I also propose we expand entertainment options for I propose our community has a committee for planning and running events that take place at least once a week during the summer seasons, when it would be warmer and families would be interested in going out. During the fall seasons our goal would be once a month. There would be so many more options besides driving ten miles for a movie or going to some of the same restaurants when you want to go out and do something!

As Barack Obama once said, “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” I will be that change.

I want to make this community an example for others to follow, for implementation better communication, for better laid out school budgets, for more options for weekends. I will make the changes of  quick and efficient road repairs, simple and effective school budgets, and more entertainment options, and that would just be the beginning. Through hearing some of my ideas, I hope you see something in me that you don't see in any of the other candidates and vote for me as the right choice for your mayor.

Written in a style of a speech, this peice is explaining what I would want to try and do if I was voted as Mayor of my town.