Something I Have Outgrown | Teen Ink

Something I Have Outgrown

By 829lillie BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
829lillie BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas

Kindness is the language in which the deaf and hear and the blind can see.~Unknown

I have outgrown the idea of wanting to grow up. If I had it my way, I would forever be age 5. I would go back to the days where napping was an acceptable part of my day. The days where there were play-dates instead of dates, snack time, recess and not being required to have a care in the world. I do know that this is impossible and scientists have not yet invented time travel. However when they do, you know where I will be. Personally, I do not feel as though I am the only person who would choose this age to forever be frozen in. do not get me wrong I am ecstatic for the future, and I am looking forward to it. It is just the getting there part I am a little frightened of.

Approaching at a rather fast pace than I would like to even think about are some major life altering, world rocking decisions I am going to have to make. Where I want to go to college and what I am going to do when I get there for example. I am in my junior year of high school now; this is the year that everybody I know has warned me about. “This is the year that really counts.” I forgot to mention that they are trying to make me feel at ease and keep me calm for my upcoming semester and a half. Between the many “So do you know what you want to be when you get to college?” from the nosey nobodies to the “Have you started applying for scholarships?” from my hairdressers daughters, I beg you all back off!

The amount of love and support that has surrounded me growing up would leave most people speechless with how blessed I am. I have an expansive and ever growing family forest, every one of them would put their lives on the line to see that I will do well in life. No pressure there.  I  am a proud woman, as is my mother and grandmother. The women in my family do no wrong. Ever. As it should be. The need to make the strong women in my family proud of me burns within me, it dances more than it is benched. Most times I do; however, there are those moments where I wish i was a little girl who made them proud by singing my ABC’s and tying my shoes.

I will do well i can promise you that, not for my family, for me. As I said previously I am a proud woman, I will do well because I have had a great upbringing with better role models than anyone could ask for. There is a reason this paper is titled “Something I have outgrown.” Yes, I have outgrown the idea of growing up, but I have no choice now do I? So instead of sulking on what I can no longer have, I choose to embrace the terrifying the future with a smile on my face.

My teacher has been urging us to send some of our articles in and this was one that when I read it, recieved a massive amount of applause. I hope you enjoy.