Sports | Teen Ink

Sports

By Kassidey SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Kassidey SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

"Not all who wander are lost."

Sports teams. Oh what fun to make them. They make you feel special, like you’ll fit in better going into high school. But the truth is that’s not the truth. For all you freshman out there just like me I am to one of those who thought that being on a sport team would make me cool. Let me tell you about it because, it did make me feel as though I had a bond with my teammates that no one else could have unless they experienced what you did with them.  But, that's not the truth. The truth is you lose friendships but, then you gain some maybe not the ones you want but just one that will you get you through. You get lonely, thinking you're not good enough for the team and that your friends? Are just gonna ditch you for the next best player on the team. When you are on a team it's not about friendships anymore it's about ranking. If you’re the best everyone will become friends with you not for your personality but for your ranking. That’s why I wrote this. I am tired of people getting friends because they're the most talented and not for what their personality is like. I am tired of having lower grades come up to me and talk to me about how their once best friend has changed and now bullies them because they’re friends with the “best.”  That's not how it's suppose to be but, it happens. And yes i'm not the popular one, the pretty one, or the one everyone loves. But, I am fine with that because I am me and that's all that matters. My friends do the ranking thing to. During volleyball you won't find my friends by me because, they will be by the most popular on the team. Like seniors for example, everyone wants the seniors to like them, but in all honesty to so the sport you love do you need their approval?Okay maybe you aren't the best but you are the worst then you deserve to be treated like everyone else and not like a piece of ham on the side of the road. The ranking doesn't stop at sports it goes on to grades. Yes, some people are smarter than others but don't brag many people just have struggles with school.I am to one of those people but, I don't let people see how much I struggle. I try to fit in with the popular crowd when honestly I don't belong there. I'm not sure where I belong but that is not the place. I feel so lonely and scared to try anything new thinking I will get made fun. I pulled myself away from the people that matter the most and those people are my real best friends. When you try to be someone you are not you forget about everything you've done that made you the person you are. No matter if you are the most popular person or the shy one you’re gonna be judged. But, it’s up to you if the person they judge is the real you or a fake.

This is how I feel about sports teams and how they make you feel.