Puzzles | Teen Ink

Puzzles

June 15, 2016
By laurenfield1503 BRONZE, Wilmingtion, Massachusetts
laurenfield1503 BRONZE, Wilmingtion, Massachusetts
1 article 7 photos 0 comments

I believe in puzzles. Not real puzzles, metaphorical puzzles. Searching for the perfect piece that interlocks with the last, creating a beautiful picture in the end. Rushing to find the piece that fits, and feeling the joy, yet overwhelming sadness when the picture is finished. I believe life is a puzzle.
  

Life is a puzzle that many of us take for granted. I believe people don’t realize that in order to enjoy and live life to the fullest, you must take time to appreciate the little things that are easy to overlook. Many of us rush to the next point in our lives but forget to cherish the moment until it is too late. I learned this from my grandmother. Cora Eva Rhodes, one of the strongest ladies I’ve ever known.
  

Although my time with her was short, I knew she lived her life loving and appreciating every single day. After being diagnosed with ovarian cancer at the age of 72, my grandmother embraced every day she had left. Even though she died not long after her diagnosis, she taught me to never rush life, and instead you should slow down to cherish the small things because you never know what the next day will bring.
  

I thank my grandmother for teaching me this crucial life lesson because I now understand how short life truly is. I also appreciate the chance to treasure even the littlest things in life that many people look past. The smell of freshly cut grass, the taste of ice cold lemonade on a warm summer's day, or just the sound of my mom’s voice telling me to clean my room fills my heart with joy because even when days seem mundane, I’ve learned to break apart the small things and be grateful for what I have. Overall, there is no chance I would be the person I am today without the valuable lesson I was taught by my grandmother.