Banning Smoking | Teen Ink

Banning Smoking

Every day 3,000 young people in the U.S. light up their first cigarette. Every year a million teenagers become regular smokers (http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/smoking). I believe that smoking should be banned in public places in the state of WI. Smoking causes diseases like lung cancer, asthma, and emphysema. Persons that don't smoke have a better physical to compete in sports, now those that smoke has been proven that they have a lees chance of been physical active. (http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/smoking).

The first reason why smoking should be banned diseases that are caused by smoking are lung cancer, asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, these diseases can only be found by smoking. Emphysema is a degenerative disease, shortness of breath, a feeling of breathlessness accompany by any movement or exertion. Bronchitis is the production of excess mucus in our lungs and causes problems in absorbing oxygen. Lung cancer is the result of smoking ether by smoking, or by doing second hand smoke. (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/tobac-tabac/body-corps/disease-maladie/index-eng.php). Asthma is caused by smoking or by inhaling second hand smoke; it covers the tubes that let oxygen into the lungs and makes breathing hard. Smoking causes more diseases than drinking alcohol.

Second hand smoke causes asthma. Asthma can be caused by smoking in front of a person, young or old. This is a problem to the children that are exposed to second hand smoke. Many children have to live with asthma for the rest of their lives because someone smoked next to them.

My 3rd reason why smoking should be banned is because smokers spend too much money on cigarettes. A pack of cigarettes costs less than ten dollars, but can cost as much as five to eight dollars a pack. Imagine what you could do with five to eight dollars every time some one spends that much money. To a smoker it doesn't matter how much it costs, as long as they are getting their cigarettes they are happy. They know it's bad for them and to those around them, yet they continue to spend $ on cigarettes.

Cigarettes are harmful, but people still smoke them. Smoking causes many diseases, just by smoking at least a pack of cigarettes a day you could get asthma, lung cancer, emphysema, bronchitis. For every person that smokes there is a chance that 7-10 persons have some disease caused by smoking. When a person goes and buys a pack of cigarettes that coasts around four to five dollars, imagine what they could do with five dollars buy some lunch or maybe a drink. Each person that smokes has a greater chance of ding earlier than an average person. Cigarettes are bad for you so don't smoke them.

on Mar. 7 2009 at 3:32 am
ShaynaPhelps SILVER, Minneapolis, Minnesota
True; smoking causes damage to the individual who smokes, but as long as its their own personal choice they have a right to smoke. You can't ban smoking totally because smoking is a right an American has. We have the right to say yes or no. It is also true all the damage that it causes to the person who smokes, but again their own choice, their freedom. A person chooses what they spend their money on, that again is a right free Americans have, you can't take that away. But what I do think is smoking should be banned from children/minors who are not adults and therefore can not make a choice on whether or not they are around second hand smoke. I also think that a restaurant owner has a right to allow smoking in his restuarant, but should be required to advertise to the public that they will be exposed to second hand smoke upon entering the restaurant. Then people can then freely decide on whether or not to enter. If the restuarant suffer's from either desicion then that was the choice they made. Helpful are smoking and non-smoking area's of the restuarant and they shopuld be seperated by doors. That way people who want to smoke can and those who don't want to be exposed don't have to. Waiters should also have the choice whether or not they want to expose themselves while working and should be allowed to explore the options of breathing devices provided by the restaurant to protect against the harmful effects of secondhand smoke.This method should be used in all locations and all situations. If you smoking in a particular location in a particular situation will cause harmful effects to an individual who did not give permission to smoke around them then it should be illegal for you to do it. People who want to smoke or don't mind being around smoke should be allowed that privillage and people who don't smoke and don't want to be around smoke should also have that privillage. Think win-win. In all of societies problems, there must be a creative, lasting solution that will have both sides win and none of the citizens' needs be compromised. Thank you.

on Mar. 6 2009 at 10:44 pm
psycholinzmeier GOLD, Kaukauna, Wisconsin
I disagree, people should be able to smoke where ever they want. Being a smoker I smoke cuz its a stress relever. By banning it your only going to stress out smokers more. If you ban smoking you mine as well ban drinking cuz thats bad for you too.