Banning Smoking

Every day 3,000 young people in the U.S. light up their first cigarette. Every year a million teenagers become regular smokers (http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/smoking). I believe that smoking should be banned in public places in the state of WI. Smoking causes diseases like lung cancer, asthma, and emphysema. Persons that don't smoke have a better physical to compete in sports, now those that smoke has been proven that they have a lees chance of been physical active. (http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/smoking).

The first reason why smoking should be banned diseases that are caused by smoking are lung cancer, asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, these diseases can only be found by smoking. Emphysema is a degenerative disease, shortness of breath, a feeling of breathlessness accompany by any movement or exertion. Bronchitis is the production of excess mucus in our lungs and causes problems in absorbing oxygen. Lung cancer is the result of smoking ether by smoking, or by doing second hand smoke. (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/tobac-tabac/body-corps/disease-maladie/index-eng.php). Asthma is caused by smoking or by inhaling second hand smoke; it covers the tubes that let oxygen into the lungs and makes breathing hard. Smoking causes more diseases than drinking alcohol.

Second hand smoke causes asthma. Asthma can be caused by smoking in front of a person, young or old. This is a problem to the children that are exposed to second hand smoke. Many children have to live with asthma for the rest of their lives because someone smoked next to them.

My 3rd reason why smoking should be banned is because smokers spend too much money on cigarettes. A pack of cigarettes costs less than ten dollars, but can cost as much as five to eight dollars a pack. Imagine what you could do with five to eight dollars every time some one spends that much money. To a smoker it doesn't matter how much it costs, as long as they are getting their cigarettes they are happy. They know it's bad for them and to those around them, yet they continue to spend $ on cigarettes.

Cigarettes are harmful, but people still smoke them. Smoking causes many diseases, just by smoking at least a pack of cigarettes a day you could get asthma, lung cancer, emphysema, bronchitis. For every person that smokes there is a chance that 7-10 persons have some disease caused by smoking. When a person goes and buys a pack of cigarettes that coasts around four to five dollars, imagine what they could do with five dollars buy some lunch or maybe a drink. Each person that smokes has a greater chance of ding earlier than an average person. Cigarettes are bad for you so don't smoke them.

ShayShay said...
Mar. 7, 2009 at 3:32 am
True; smoking causes damage to the individual who smokes, but as long as its their own personal choice they have a right to smoke. You can't ban smoking totally because smoking is a right an American has. We have the right to say yes or no. It is also true all the damage that it causes to the person who smokes, but again their own choice, their freedom. A person chooses what they spend their money on, that again is a right free Americans have, you can't take that away. But what I do think ... (more »)

Kayla L. said...
I disagree, people should be able to smoke where ever they want. Being a smoker I smoke cuz its a stress relever. By banning it your only going to stress out smokers more. If you ban smoking you mine as well ban drinking cuz thats bad for you too.