Fearing Ordinary | Teen Ink

Fearing Ordinary

By AyeAshleyMartin SILVER, Candia, New Hampshire
AyeAshleyMartin SILVER, Candia, New Hampshire

Fear is a four letter word describing an emotion that controls who you are what you do.  There are lots of things to be afraid of; snakes, robbers, car accidents, guns, police, you name it and someone fears it.  You can call a fear rational or irrational but that doesn't mean someone's going to stop being afraid of it.  We fear what we can’t face, we fear what we can’t see, we fear what we don't know.  We fear change, we fear judgment, we fear being uncomfortable.  I think most of us can say we ultimately fear death.  Is fear a bad thing? It's a form of motivation, the fear of losing something or someone gives them that push to fight for it.  I am afraid of a lot of things, but I only fear one.  To me a fear has to be the deciding factor of if I fulfilled my life or not.

I fear being ordinary.  Living average, feeling average, being average.  I want to be a progressor; change hearts, change minds, change lives.  If I lay in my casket and my only achievements are a lot of money and a nice house I will have failed.  If I do not leave an imprint on this dismayed world I will have failed.  I fear not standing out, I fear conformity. 

There’s a lot of things to fear but the biggest one I have is being anything less than great.