Team and Leadership | Teen Ink

Team and Leadership

March 2, 2016
By WriterExpert7 GOLD, Lahore, Other
WriterExpert7 GOLD, Lahore, Other
19 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"What I am looking for is not out there, it's in me." ~ Hellen Keller


Dictionary defines a team as "two or more people working together." Leadership is defined as "the art of leading others to deliberately create a result that wouldn't have happened otherwise." The very existence of a team is due to leadership. Hence, team and leadership are linked, eternally and dynamically.

Any work can be accomplished in two ways; individually or collectively. Some people like to work independently, however, others prefer collective approach towards completion of tasks. Is it better to work independently or in a group? The answer to this is in an African proverb: "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together."

The proverb means that if there is a small and easy project to be completed then the wise decision would be to work independently. But, if one wants to reach a great ambition then it would be better to take part in a team. Thus, it depends on the nature and scope of the work.

Everybody needs others' help to carry out various tasks. For this purpose, teams are formed. A successful team is always under some leadership. There are many qualities of a leader, some are noted below:

A leader doesn't persuade his/her teammates forcibly, instead, he/she motivates them to execute tasks. A leader notices his/her teammates' qualities and helps them to utilize them properly. A leader boosts his/her teammates' willpower.

John Heywood, an English Writer, illustration supports the approach of grouping: "Many hands make light work."

People should remember that good cooperation and compassionate feelings among others can unite them. Everyone is unique and has distinct talent. By working together in a team, which is functioning under some leadership, people can share innate strengths to ease the work.

John's saying is true but not effective until some guidelines are obeyed and preserved. Following are the key guidelines:

First of all, every member of the team should be provided with a different task to complete. The approach is effective against free riders. Secondly, during a team, members should cheer others, instead of criticizing them. The attitude encourages all members. Thirdly, there should be no concept of "I" in teamwork. Lastly, a team should be led by an effective leader, who can steer the team, productively.

If all these guidelines are followed, assuredly, optimal results would be produced.

On the contrast, there is a proverb which completely goes against the above mentioned saying: "Too many cooks spoil the broth."

After reading this proverb, we see that it means; too many people trying to carry out a single task can ruin it. But there is an important point hidden in the proverb. People can learn from that point and correct the misconception. The point is; there should be a leader to guide the team. A task is never ruined if the team is working under some effective leadership. But without a leader, things may get messy.

In a nutshell, working collectively is an effective approach to reach great ambitions, but during that, key guidelines and leadership must be observed and implemented, respectively. The attitude will lead towards completion of tasks. I would like to conclude my article with the memorable words of J.K. Rowling: "We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided."


The author's comments:

Human beings live association life, so that, right grouping is an indispensable portion of collective life. Moreover, taking part in any team realizes numerous benefits, but these benefits accrue only when the team is working under some effective leadership.