Spend love, not money on Valentine's Day | Teen Ink

Spend love, not money on Valentine's Day

By pedro silva BRONZE, Phx, Arizona
pedro silva BRONZE, Phx, Arizona

As far as holidays are concerned, Valentine's Day ranks as the most inane holiday on my list.

Each year, millions of Americans splurge a ridiculous amount of money on various gifts that denote their love for their significant others.

I know we have all heard the common apathetic feeling that most Valentine's Day cynics have toward this holiday, 'Why should we show our love on only day of the year?'

Like many, I cling to the notion that this holiday is sponsored by profit-seeking companies and retailers attempting to make a buck off of anything red.

According to the National Retail Federation, the average American spent $122.98 on Valentine's Day in 2008, bringing the total amount spent to $17.02 billion. By simply looking at the numbers, those cynics are proven right. I have not always felt such repugnance toward this holiday. I can still remember feeling a thrill when buying my elementary school classes Valentine's Day cards, celebrating a holiday that I was led to believe extolled the act of love.

As I grew older, I became cognizant that this holiday was not about love nor did a make a laudable attempt at conveying such an emotion.

As humans, we take a great a deal of pride in the relationships we build; we desperately wait for the right moment to say 'I love you' to that special someone. So why waste money foolishly on a fleeting holiday to materially show our love? Why won't an 'I love you' on every single day of the year suffice?

Perhaps the answer lies in the materialistic society that America has become. I am amazed that our commercial ambitions even extend to the relationships we make. To some, love does not have a price. (Clearly, the $17.02 billion spent indicates otherwise.)

If love is to be measured by the size of one's wallet or the amount of money spent on a particular gift, then love isn't really allowed to exist.

It is important to recognize that as humans, we do not need a holiday, dictated by this materialistic society, to show our love for another. True love shouldn't be about gifts on a commercialized holiday; instead, it should be judged by what's on the inside the person, not the other way around.

Don't get me wrong, expensive gifts are undeniably a flattering gesture than anyone is sure to accept without vacillation. But let us ask ourselves if one day out of the year is truly necessary to demonstrate our love and affection.

By allowing love to grow without the help of a gold Tiffany bracelet or a bouquet of roses, take the time out to show your significant other that love needs no superfluous expenditures.