Freedom Is Not Always Free | Teen Ink

Freedom Is Not Always Free

By Sophiecz BRONZE, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Sophiecz BRONZE, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware

"A professional writer is an amateur that didn't quit"- Richard Bach

“Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.” These are a few influential words spoken by John .F. Kennedy. I am lucky enough to live in a free country, without freedom, I wouldn’t be the same person I am today. I would have many more restrictions, and like John .F. Kennedy said, I would not be able to grow and be myself without freedom.

Freedom is being able to speak my mind and opinion without being punished for it. I do not have to bite my tongue if I want to voice my opinion like I would in a communist country or tyranny. My great grandmother and grandfather spent the majority of their childhood in communist Czechoslovakia and when they got older they made the treacherous journey to Ellis Island to obtain their freedom and secure my own. Because of them, I can raise my hand in class and share my thoughts, or have an open discussion with my family at the dinner table. I am a free individual in my expression.

Freedom is not living in fear that I will be forced out of my house, or wake up to a war going on right outside my door. I live in a safe neighborhood and can go outside to take a walk or ride my bike whenever I please; I have soldiers who are fighting overseas to thank for that. Some people do not have this liberty like I do. Soldiers represent our red, white, and blue flag by risking their lives everyday to protect our country. Thanks to them, I am a free individual in my home.

Freedom is waking up everyday and riding the bus to my middle school, so that I may get an education and have a successful future. In third world countries, if girls desire an education, they are mocked and ridiculed for it. I am lucky enough to get my education for free and no one will tell me that I can’t. I am a free individual in my education.

I am not only free at home or at school. My freedom also stands in my faith and in my country. Being able to do and say what I want is one of my many liberties, and for that I am grateful. I am a free individual in my life.

Learning about our freedoms and rights compared to other's in school made me realize how much I take my freedom for granted. This needed to be said, so we can all know what freedom really is, at least what it is to me.