Sincerely, A Teenager | Teen Ink

Sincerely, A Teenager

By shellbee BRONZE, Pune, Other
shellbee BRONZE, Pune, Other
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

Sincerely, A teenager.

When adults say, “Teenagers think they are invincible”
with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don’t know how right they are.
________________________________________
–John Green, Looking For Alaska

Of course they don’t know. How many times did an adult try to belittle you? Well, most of the times. If there’s an issue at home, you cannot intervene or ask because you are just “that stupid kid who doesn’t even clean his/her untidy room“. Trust me, all of us have been there. How many times have you been compared to that super smart prodigal cousin or neighbor? That would be a million. How many times did your parents tell you that they worked their ass off to get you here and that you don’t even care about them? How many times did your high-school teacher tell you that if you keep going the way you are going now, you’re going to get nowhere?

Okay now, think about this :
How many times did you actually do the dishes and clean your so-called “untidy, chaotic and bedraggled” room, but none of the adults in the house cared to even notice? That would be a million too. How many times were you stuck in a serious problem but you managed to carry that out smoothly without anybody’s help? How many times were you really disappointed at your low grades and then with a fusillade of perseverance and persistence you worked hard to get good grades? How many times did you want to lash out at that teacher but remained calm?

Adults really do perceive moral weakness in the next generation. We are materialistic, yes, not always though. We sometimes just care about ourselves and nobody else. That does not mean we’re ruthless and the most selfish generation of all times. We laugh at stupid things and sometimes without a reason. Doesn’t mean we’re mad. We cry, we get depressed too. But through it all, we are strong and clever enough to make way for ourselves. Just because we don’t get straight A’s does not mean we’ll end up selling ice-cream in some crowded street. And, even if we do end up as roadside vendors it does not matter if we’re happy doing what we do. We believe in falling hard because the harder you fall, the higher you bounce. We don’t believe in fitting in. We were born to stand out. Um, like the long tree in the picture? Only, saying.

Trust me, even if our parents abandoned us now, we could face it and find a way out. Don’t take it seriously, they’re our parents. We love them and they love us no matter what.

Just remember, if you want to land up on the moon, shoot for the sun. If you want to land among the stars, shoot for the moon. Do not believe in : “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.” That’s just an imbecile quote which is just equal to – Shoot for the pizza! Even if you miss you’ll land among some kind of edible stuff. I just made that up. Damn.

So, dear adults we believe in living our life to the fullest because life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. We are just trying to capture those moments. We are invincible. Forever and after.

Sincerely, A teenager.