Too Much Homework, Too Little Time

It's all over the news: kids are spending a lot of time on homework. And, according to some, it's way too much. With the current emphasis on high-stakes testing, educators are trying to do more with less, which can result in an overabundance of schoolwork outside of school. Some critics say there is no evidence to suggest that homework is helpful to student achievement; on the contrary, too much of it can overwhelm students and cause them to disengage. Others, however, claim that homework is necessary and helpful, designed so students can practice the concepts taught in class, build good study habits, and reflect on their own learning.

As an 8th grade student who is in advanced classes, I think that homework is the cause of my depleting grades. Now, you’re probably going to think that I’m like any other kid in middle school that hates homework and that to even spend another second reading this will be a complete waste of time, right? Even so, just hear me out because I have several reasons that might just change your mind.

I have thousands of assignments every week; most of them homework assignments. As a result, I’m cascaded with homework every day, causing me to stay up until 11 o’clock at night more often than not. Obviously, this is a threat to my health as a developing teenager. It could stunt my growth, and result in fatigue and stress because everyone knows that no good sleep leads to no good grades. Even if I were to go to bed at a decent time, my homework wouldn’t be finished. Either way is a couldesack at the end of a road.

Stress is very unhealthy for growing teens and statistics show that 29% of 13-year-old students report spending 2 hours or more on homework daily in the U.S. Isn’t that a bit much? More homework means more stress. Stress can cause many things including: lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more other factors. A teen should not have to face depression at such a young age.

So why do teenagers still have so much homework?

One of the answers to that is that teachers often have children covering material at home by themselves that they do not discuss during school time at all. Of course, the teacher's reasoning for this is that there aren't enough hours in the day and he/she wants to cover more territory on a certain subject. But being taught how to do something by a piece of paper just isn’t the same as being taught by an actual human being. The teacher can explain things a different way if someone doesn’t grasp how to do something or they can respond to questions about the subject for better learning.

I couldn’t even count how many kids just take the easy way out and disengage from the homework given at my school. They refuse to do homework and it’s lowering their grades. But I can’t blame them because I ask myself on a daily basis why I don’t just quit already and join the rest of the crowd.

I could actually have a life then instead of doing homework all day. I could participate in extra curricular activities like I used to when I participated in lacrosse but now I can’t because my grades are slipping due to not finishing homework. I could do fun things instead of homework because it keeps me cooped up inside like a prisoner in a jail cell and I hate it!

Statistics even show that kids who participated in an extra curricular activity have less stress. The only thing is, is that they have less time for homework too. Homework takes away all of my free time to spend with friends and family; where I can just forget about all of my worries for an hour or two.

The amount of homework that teachers give sometimes is ridiculous and unnecessary. Homework can cause stress, depression, lower grades, and less time to do extra curricular activities or hang out with friends, so teachers, could you please not get so excited about homework next time?

soooooooooo said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:28 am:
my school gives so much homework

RebDawG_129 :P replied...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 5:42 am :
My school gives lots of homework, and i'm yr 9, Researching a damn websotes for this... to have a speech. It's ridiculousi get between 45 mineutes and 2 and a half hours homework in AUS.

Zeosrule said...
Dec. 9, 2011 at 12:58 am:
At my school (BASIS) there is a joke in my grade (6th) I used to have a life... 5 months ago.

95453164621565 said...
Dec. 8, 2011 at 9:34 am:
that sucks cause i dont have a lot of homework...ever

NomNomCookie said...
Then don't go to school in China. I use to have school there and you get homework from every class everyday with no breaks and my cousin does not have any classes yet she stays up until midnight doing homework! It was very miserable and hard.

br0f said...
Dec. 1, 2011 at 1:43 am:

I attend a high school that has high standards, and I'm harldy ever concious as a result of the homework I get.

I am in the band at the school, and I play many rare instruments so I'm implored to be in the orchestra for all school productions.

So every morning I must leave for school at 6:20 for morning rehearsals. I do not leave until 8:30 pm, and I'm not allowed to work on any assignments during rehearsals.

When I get home at around 9:00, I grab some energy shots and co... (more »)

allie.ring88 said...

As a freshman in high school this year, I have absolutely felt the stress and pressure of loads of homework. Every other day I have a said of 4 classes. Currently, I'm taking:

Ancient Medevil History

Honors English

Academic Geometry

Geophysical Science

Honors Spanish II

Wind Ensemble

Graphic Design

Physical Education

These are all difficult classes that require hours of nightly homoework. What most teachers don't understand is tha... (more »)

Sapphyhra808 said...
Ikr! homework is SUCH a pain, these teachers give us waaaaayyyyy to much now.

CoolDarkFoo said...
Sept. 14, 2011 at 8:47 am:
The one thing about homeworks that I hate is that some of these sheets are not even worth to write and I got a 0 for not doing it!

CoolDarkFoo said...
Sept. 14, 2011 at 8:43 am:
Hi Guys! I am really a procrastinator of homeworks because they are too long! I am searching for answers to stop this!

KaeJaeGal said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 4:23 am:
I agree. i have a friend who's in an elite school and does homework until 4am in the morning!

inuyasha lover1 said...
May 20, 2011 at 7:13 am:
this ludicris home work is not needed i some times stay up to 9 if im luckey with home work is a god sent i have a social life at all

HorseLover said...
May 19, 2011 at 6:53 am:
I agree. I get done my homework at about 9 every night, but I know a lot of people who don't get done until 11 or 12.

LAXdoubleK said...
May 5, 2011 at 10:56 pm:
He's talking about the above comment. And I totally agree with him.

herro im super yerro said...
hi im yerro

inuyahsa lover1 replied...
May 20, 2011 at 7:15 am :
hi im inuyasha lover1

simplydivine said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 7:22 pm:

After being cooped up inside at school for eight hours. Learning about stuff that we really don't care about. And they expect us to do another hour or two at home? It really is pathethic.

Great article!

LAXdoubleK replied...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 9:07 pm :
I'm glad you liked my article but you should care about learning! It's your future, your life!

Becca17 said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 2:00 pm:
Definitely a fascinating article and I definitely agree that the work overload can feel far to overwhelming for the developing teenager.

fungus! said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 8:06 am:
that is true people have to much homework to do in such little time!

hmeeks said...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 10:19 am:
I believe this essay conveys the views of many middle/highschoolers. However, in just reading somet of the comments, it's easy to realize just how much we need the homework. Sure, it cuts back from time with friends, but in the scheme of things, we still need work. Just not as much. And help from teachers would be a great benifit.