Too Much Homework, Too Little Time

It's all over the news: kids are spending a lot of time on homework. And, according to some, it's way too much. With the current emphasis on high-stakes testing, educators are trying to do more with less, which can result in an overabundance of schoolwork outside of school. Some critics say there is no evidence to suggest that homework is helpful to student achievement; on the contrary, too much of it can overwhelm students and cause them to disengage. Others, however, claim that homework is necessary and helpful, designed so students can practice the concepts taught in class, build good study habits, and reflect on their own learning.

As an 8th grade student who is in advanced classes, I think that homework is the cause of my depleting grades. Now, you’re probably going to think that I’m like any other kid in middle school that hates homework and that to even spend another second reading this will be a complete waste of time, right? Even so, just hear me out because I have several reasons that might just change your mind.

I have thousands of assignments every week; most of them homework assignments. As a result, I’m cascaded with homework every day, causing me to stay up until 11 o’clock at night more often than not. Obviously, this is a threat to my health as a developing teenager. It could stunt my growth, and result in fatigue and stress because everyone knows that no good sleep leads to no good grades. Even if I were to go to bed at a decent time, my homework wouldn’t be finished. Either way is a couldesack at the end of a road.

Stress is very unhealthy for growing teens and statistics show that 29% of 13-year-old students report spending 2 hours or more on homework daily in the U.S. Isn’t that a bit much? More homework means more stress. Stress can cause many things including: lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more other factors. A teen should not have to face depression at such a young age.

So why do teenagers still have so much homework?

One of the answers to that is that teachers often have children covering material at home by themselves that they do not discuss during school time at all. Of course, the teacher's reasoning for this is that there aren't enough hours in the day and he/she wants to cover more territory on a certain subject. But being taught how to do something by a piece of paper just isn’t the same as being taught by an actual human being. The teacher can explain things a different way if someone doesn’t grasp how to do something or they can respond to questions about the subject for better learning.

I couldn’t even count how many kids just take the easy way out and disengage from the homework given at my school. They refuse to do homework and it’s lowering their grades. But I can’t blame them because I ask myself on a daily basis why I don’t just quit already and join the rest of the crowd.

I could actually have a life then instead of doing homework all day. I could participate in extra curricular activities like I used to when I participated in lacrosse but now I can’t because my grades are slipping due to not finishing homework. I could do fun things instead of homework because it keeps me cooped up inside like a prisoner in a jail cell and I hate it!

Statistics even show that kids who participated in an extra curricular activity have less stress. The only thing is, is that they have less time for homework too. Homework takes away all of my free time to spend with friends and family; where I can just forget about all of my worries for an hour or two.

The amount of homework that teachers give sometimes is ridiculous and unnecessary. Homework can cause stress, depression, lower grades, and less time to do extra curricular activities or hang out with friends, so teachers, could you please not get so excited about homework next time?

rpayne55 said...
Aug. 25 at 1:11 am
I agree 100%. Teachers need to cut down a lot on homework I can understand maybe an hour of homework but when you get out of school and just want to relax after school it's kind of hard when you have a load of homework.I think the only time you should have a lot of homework is in college because that's understandable

I'm Tired said...
Jul. 27 at 1:05 pm
I totally agree! Teachers need to cut down on all the homework!! I usually sleep at 2-3am in the morning and wake up at 5:30am, and sometimes even pulling all-nighters. While I also agree homework is good, stress is definitely not good, and furthermore most of the things we learn through paperwork will not be relevant in future (are we going to look at one another, and start naming out all the biological terms? Are we going to look at a cup, and start forming a math or chemical equation?). If we... (more »)

jennnylt said...
May 26 at 11:14 am
I am never in favor of homework but coming from an older perspective some homework is necessary to prepare you for college and making study habits and the sooner you can form those habits the better off you will be. I do agree the work load is over barring and teachers should remember that middle school and high school is about a lot more than just grades, it is about forming social skills, friendships, being on sports teams, and just learning about life through experiences.

LeaRoxel198 said...
May 3 at 10:39 am
Totally! we are given so much homework I often sleep at 12 and wake up at 6. This is too much stress on me and so many times the homework is not checked. In fact doing my homework gives me a bad reputation among the teachers. while those who dont are just scolded and not another thought goes to it.

ysanjana757 said...
Apr. 27 at 8:01 am
I agree 100%. I get so much homework now, and will get even more next year, that I want to just not do it all sometimes.

Emily_3645 said...
Apr. 27 at 7:45 am
I can relate to you. I am also in 8th grade and sometimes feel overwhelmed with the amount of assignments teachers at my school give me.

Paoliwis said...
Apr. 1 at 11:16 am
100% agree, sometimes I think teachers don't want us to rest.

Josh27 said...
Apr. 1 at 10:15 am
I feel like this is about me. Because this happened to me when I was like in 7 or 8 grade.

Erosario9392 said...
Apr. 1 at 9:39 am
I agree very much because I am a student, one day we have 3 or even 5 homework for the next day and can not sleep well

Pavva replied...
Apr. 28 at 9:18 pm
They say coffee is bad for a teen's mind. But that's their fault for giving so much homework and no time to sleep.

Umair said...
Mar. 22 at 10:49 am
So true. Ever since I hit 7th grade i have to stay up till 10 doing homework

Pavva replied...
Apr. 28 at 9:17 pm
You have no idea. Guess what time it is? it prob. says right above here. guess what i was doing five mins ago? My science lab report. :\

kelsi.lussier This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 3 at 10:14 am
So true! I can relate so much

rcmastah said...
Feb. 29 at 5:46 pm
I agree. The last time I had free time on a school day (excluding things like minimum days, last day before a break, etc.) was in September 2015. Students have a life, and I don't get how teachers don't understand that. Luckily, some of my teachers do realize that we have lives to live, so they give us small, simple assignments to reinforce what we have learned. However, my Language Arts teacher literally gives out 2-5 hours of homework on a daily basis. FML.

X2222 said...
Feb. 18 at 9:41 pm
I couldn't agree more.

JayJ said...
Feb. 16 at 9:51 am
cute article ^^

Eveartist said...
Jan. 27 at 5:47 pm
I get way too much homework. they pile and pile it on. i have to write an essay and 3 other paragraphs tonight, and study for two tests. Oh, the joy.

ScarletCityThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Most of the homework I have is time consuming... but not hard. It irritates me because my teacher doesn't assign us homework based on minutes (say, thirty minutes a night) she assigns us in problems. Sometimes a single problem can take up to almost ten minutes!

Pavva replied...
Apr. 28 at 9:19 pm
I feel you. :)

Nicole1110 said...
I completely agree! At my school they say 2 hours of homework for each class you have and that means getting no school at all.