Too Much Homework, Too Little Time

It's all over the news: kids are spending a lot of time on homework. And, according to some, it's way too much. With the current emphasis on high-stakes testing, educators are trying to do more with less, which can result in an overabundance of schoolwork outside of school. Some critics say there is no evidence to suggest that homework is helpful to student achievement; on the contrary, too much of it can overwhelm students and cause them to disengage. Others, however, claim that homework is necessary and helpful, designed so students can practice the concepts taught in class, build good study habits, and reflect on their own learning.

As an 8th grade student who is in advanced classes, I think that homework is the cause of my depleting grades. Now, you’re probably going to think that I’m like any other kid in middle school that hates homework and that to even spend another second reading this will be a complete waste of time, right? Even so, just hear me out because I have several reasons that might just change your mind.

I have thousands of assignments every week; most of them homework assignments. As a result, I’m cascaded with homework every day, causing me to stay up until 11 o’clock at night more often than not. Obviously, this is a threat to my health as a developing teenager. It could stunt my growth, and result in fatigue and stress because everyone knows that no good sleep leads to no good grades. Even if I were to go to bed at a decent time, my homework wouldn’t be finished. Either way is a couldesack at the end of a road.

Stress is very unhealthy for growing teens and statistics show that 29% of 13-year-old students report spending 2 hours or more on homework daily in the U.S. Isn’t that a bit much? More homework means more stress. Stress can cause many things including: lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more other factors. A teen should not have to face depression at such a young age.

So why do teenagers still have so much homework?

One of the answers to that is that teachers often have children covering material at home by themselves that they do not discuss during school time at all. Of course, the teacher's reasoning for this is that there aren't enough hours in the day and he/she wants to cover more territory on a certain subject. But being taught how to do something by a piece of paper just isn’t the same as being taught by an actual human being. The teacher can explain things a different way if someone doesn’t grasp how to do something or they can respond to questions about the subject for better learning.

I couldn’t even count how many kids just take the easy way out and disengage from the homework given at my school. They refuse to do homework and it’s lowering their grades. But I can’t blame them because I ask myself on a daily basis why I don’t just quit already and join the rest of the crowd.

I could actually have a life then instead of doing homework all day. I could participate in extra curricular activities like I used to when I participated in lacrosse but now I can’t because my grades are slipping due to not finishing homework. I could do fun things instead of homework because it keeps me cooped up inside like a prisoner in a jail cell and I hate it!

Statistics even show that kids who participated in an extra curricular activity have less stress. The only thing is, is that they have less time for homework too. Homework takes away all of my free time to spend with friends and family; where I can just forget about all of my worries for an hour or two.

The amount of homework that teachers give sometimes is ridiculous and unnecessary. Homework can cause stress, depression, lower grades, and less time to do extra curricular activities or hang out with friends, so teachers, could you please not get so excited about homework next time?

Nicole said...
yesterday at 7:57 pm:
I know that homework is exausting but I know it's good for me and my future. I also know that I can be doind anything else than doing my homework but I think that if you do it fast and well (obviously) then you will have more time than left if you stay all day arguing about why do you have to do it. I always think it's hard to propose yourself to do it intead of having fun but then I think about my grades and how this can affect to my future and I react. Finally you just have to think in... (more »)

Selena said...
Oct. 12 at 9:01 am:
It is very bad for kids to stay up late. I agree.way too much homework, or not enough time. Kids need physical activity in order to have healthy habits and health. Depression is terrible disease and, no, kids should not have it. It should be on teachers, covering more materials at school. Im from Europe, teacher cover more material at school and kids have time to do their activity. Kids are overwhelmed, and panic at times.they say "too much homework" it is like self study.

Semimajor said...
Sep. 22 at 9:34 pm:
Hey,   Just wanted to let you know - I was in your position a few years back. I was in 9th grade at age 12, so I was also advanced. I would be up late completing all my assignments. I want you to know this - down the road, it gets better. Today, I am 15 and I started college 2 weeks ago, and I am at the top of my class. Keep with it. I know it is hard. If it were easy, then anyone could do it. Then what would make you different? You are different. It is hard to be different - an 8... (more »)

Emily said...
Sep. 19 at 3:49 pm:
I love this article alot. I have had experience of this when I had 8 test, one for each subject, but i found it really hard to revise as I had so many other bits of homework that I had to do. I am actually using this article for my homework right now. I have to write a review on an opinion article. i think homework is very stressful but is helpful. Teachers should make sure everyone is 100% sure on how to do it so they are not confused at home. I also think teachers cannot have the exscuse ... (more »)

Coolpixie47 said...
Jul. 6 at 11:42 am:
You said two hours in America right? But in India, they say self study 4 hours and homework 2 hours plus tution and don't get me started on HOLIDAY HOMEWORK!
It's no holiday! It's school like without no teacher or friends( atleast me) I have nine subjects and about two projects of Ten marks of each of them! i hate school now it stinks and will always stink!!!

Me too! replied...
Jul. 25 at 12:07 pm :
I am too studying in India and I totally agree with you! I have 10 subs to work with and the amount of home work  my teacher give me is uncountable , and guess what ? they are due on the same freaking day! And yes , holiday homework sucks!

lia.mjohnson replied...
Aug. 18 at 9:03 am :
omgosh yes! school really stinks esp when we get tons of work, and we hardly have much time..zzzz

bebeflow07 said...
May 19 at 12:21 am:
This is a great atricle here, I am happy to hear your opinion. I also think that the amount of homework, little time to sleep and participate in out-of-school activities contribute to the high stress levels in students in the US. I personally wish that schools weren't so test-based and grade focused. I wish I could spend my time focusing on all of my problem areas in the curriculum I'm learning instead of being forced to repeat the application of things that I really don't need pract... (more »)

yummy gummy! said...
May 6 at 9:18 pm:
I enjoyed the article. I am going through the same things. 2 hours isn't rilly too much time for homework stuff. I had to be considerd sick because of homework, it's taking me all day. As a matter of fact i am doing one right now to reserch about argumentative essay about HOMEWORK! >_<

OreoDuck replied...
Sep. 14 at 8:44 pm :
Hey i am doing am essay on that too! I'm only in middle school but my brother is in high school and barely has time to do anything other than homework.

urNewItGirl replied...
Sep. 21 at 8:58 pm :
OMG!!! I am ALSO writing an essay about too much homework given at school. I'm in 11th grade and we have to write a 3 page essay by next week and I was in the middle of doing this stupid homework when I ran into the kid who wrote the essay.  I totally agree with you when you say kids get too much homework. It's ridiculous! I remember last year I had to write an 8-9 page paper concerning history day. I worked on it for 6 hours just on one day!!!! And that was only the rough... (more »)

L.A.L.EtcThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 3 at 4:25 pm:
I agree! I was taking high school math ( I'm in 7th grade) and there was to much Homework that it took the whole day to do because I had hw in all my 7 classes. I got overwhelmed and had to go to regular math for getting a c-plus.

Anon said...
May 1 at 9:32 pm:
2 hours of homework in 8th grade? Im in 8th grad and i have about 5 to 6 hours of homwork regularly

anonomys said...
Apr. 24 at 8:10 pm:
I completely argree i am doing a speech at how middle and high school students have to much homework and i am doing it for homework i dont think that that is right

i<3pie! said...
Apr. 6 at 2:49 pm:
I'm in 6th grade and in cats and every single night i have a new projuect to work on. i feel like a slave and when my teacher is mad at other kids, i get more work. Also we "had no homework" so she gave us a lot more :(

izzy_0314 said...
Mar. 28 at 8:47 pm:
I really enjoyed your article and you brought up many important and great points. I know that a lot of people that are older may be commenting on here sayng "stop complaining" or "wait until your in high school" but honestly they shouldn't really be talking. They all say they've been there, but the academic system is forever changing and it is just not the same as when they were in the 8th grade. I really enjoyed this article and plan on reading more of your writing. :)

Anonymous said...
Mar. 25 at 7:33 am:
I believe homework is important. Right now I'm in the equivalent of 8th grade, and I don't exactly like doing homework but sigh, I have to do it anyway. We already have more than 5 hours of school, not counting registration, break time, transition time, etc. Fortunately some of that time is in the arts, like Drama and Art, and in PE, Food Technology, and other more 'non-academic' subjects. However, these could also be GCSE subjects, in which case most likely regular homework wi... (more »)

pikachu9910 said...
Mar. 18 at 2:29 am:
You guys all sound like a bunch of whining brats. I suggest you all learn how to deal with your "huge" amounts of homework in middle school before even thinking about moving on with your lives. Really? Considering "losing your childhood" when you're like what, 5 years old? Give me a break, that's pathetic. Now get off this website and finish your damn arithmetic homework. 

Anon replied...
Mar. 24 at 1:19 am :
Well, when one has the sleep patterns of a college student while in middle/high school (like myself) I wouldn't say that it isn't "Huge"

izzy_0314 replied...
Mar. 28 at 8:42 pm :
The person that commented this clearly does not understand the pressure of today’s schools, even in the 8th grade. I’m an eighth grader and am currently taking multiple advanced courses. For example I am currently taking a math course that is traditionally taken by a 10th/11th grader. Schools are creating more difficult courses, predominantly in the younger ages. The reasoning behind this that students go through their academic lives through high school with flying colors. Their brai... (more »)