Nature Unwrapped | Teen Ink

Nature Unwrapped

March 27, 2015
By 01theamazingone01 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
01theamazingone01 BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” said Albert Einstein.


Yet when people think about nature, they think pretty trees, green grass, and amazing views. Although all these can be admired about nature, We sometimes tragically forget to look deeper. We forget to look at nature’s uniqueness, distinctness and its indifference to human convention. I recently went on a five day school field trip to Yosemite National park. The lengthy hours spent outdoors helped me become more aware of the beauty around me. That awareness of natural beauty was like a revelation. It was beyond amazing to see each feature, the Alpine wilderness, the groves of Giant Sequoias, the many waterfalls and Yosemite Valley, contributing different characteristics to the park. They all coexist and work together and create a mesmerizing community. There was not a second that was boring, because there was always something new to discover, and something always exciting. I became more grounded, more peaceful and more self confident. After experiencing that awareness, I realised the importance to empower people with the message. In this age of high technology, people who live in the cities are unable to experience Nature intimately. You don’t have to have a wilderness experience to become aware of it. A small garden, listening to the wild birds in the neighborhood park or even a pet fish will suffice if you take the time to really look deep. It is worth the time because Nature has the power to nurture. It almost always has the marvellous ability to fit a person’s mood - if you are feeling happy, sad, or angry, if you pay attention you will notice that nature agrees with you most of the time. Another incredible quality of nature is that it treats every single person the same way. It does not matter if you are a boy or a girl, teacher or a student, rich or poor, nature welcomes you the same way. The next time you go out to take a hike, don’t be a stereotypical observer of nature. Instead, relish the serenity, experience the magnanimity, and enjoy its generous spirit. By understanding nature’s worth, you will also realise your own. It is the most precious gift that is totally worth unwrapping.


The author's comments:

I am an 8th grader, and a school trip to Yosemite inspired me to write this piece. I really hope that after reading my piece, people will take the time to enjoy nature.