Truth About Depression | Teen Ink

Truth About Depression

March 24, 2015
By Izabella_Kate SILVER, Boyne Falls, Michigan
Izabella_Kate SILVER, Boyne Falls, Michigan
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Don't ever regret something that once made you smile.


Everyone that has never actually expierenced depression will never really understand how it feels. They may think and say that they do, but there really is no way for them to. They have nothing to compare it to. They may say that they have been depressed before, but if they really have they would know that it doesn't go away, that there is no cure.

The real truth is... Depression isn't some joke or ploy for attention. It is a serious condition that many people suffer with. And to hear people try to downsize it by saying, "oh, you're just sad," or, "You're just saying that to get attention," or even better yet, "It's just a phase, you'll get over it," makes those of us that actually do suffer with depression feel worthless and that no one actually cares about the hardships that we face everyday.

For some of us just getting out of bed in the morning is a grand accomplishment. Sometimes just getting out of bed is the hardest thing that we have to do. For us it would be so easy to just lay there and just cease to exist. Sometimes it seems like that is what most of us want. That in doing so all of our troubles would just dissapear.

For a lot of us we don't live for ourselves. We see no value what-so-ever in our selves that we live for others because we can't find anything in ourselves that is worth living for, so we focus on the fact that if we did just dissapear from existance we would be causing those that we care about pain. We make that the whole reason for our existance.

Regardless of what everyone else thinks, we do not enjoy causing people pain. In fact we abhor the idea and the fact that no matter how hard we try not to cause others harm we still end up doing it eats at us.

This is just a little insight on the mind of the depressed.