Gun Control | Teen Ink

Gun Control

February 18, 2015
By 13lauraa BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
13lauraa BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Do guns really kill people? Or is it the people behind them? I believe that people kill people, therefore we do not need gun control. Instead, we need to control the people own and use guns.
    To begin, there should not be complete gun control, such as taking away guns, as it is unconstitutional. As stated in “10 Big Questions in the U.S. Gun Control Debate” by Patrick Kiger, the Second Amendment says, “...the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” This means that taking away the peoples’ right to own and carry weapons would be against the Constitution.
    Another reason why guns should not be controlled is because much of our country’s population do not own guns. “In a January 2012 Gally poll, for example, 43% of Americans said they had a gun in their homes.” is said in the article “10 Big Questions in the U.S. Gun Control Debate.” This shows that less than half the homes in our country have a gun.
    Also, many gun related deaths are out of self defense. According to “10 Big Questions in the U.S. Gun Control Debate,” “Gun control opponents say that a vast number of crimes are prevented by armed citizens… .” This supports the claim that there could actually be more crime if guns were taken away completely.
    Finally, there should be stricter gun laws, rather than complete control, because as “10 Big Questions in the U.S. Gun Control Debate” says, “…even though criminals couldn’t buy new assault weapons, they still could easily outfit non-banned weapons with old large capacity magazines from before the ban… .” This is explaining that the federal assault weapon ban did not greatly affect crime, because criminals could use non-banned assault weapons with old magazines from before the ban. Some gun control advocates say that banning certain guns would solve our country’s gun violence issue, but clearly criminals would still find a way around it.
    When you weigh all the evidence you can conclude that we do not need gun control. We need control over the people who kill with the guns. The gun owners of our country need to be even more careful, and the sellers of guns need to control who can buy these weapons.