Why I'm Proud to be an American | Teen Ink

Why I'm Proud to be an American

By Borgerding GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Borgerding GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

“Marco?”
“Polo!”
“Marco?”
“Polo!”
...and then splash.

When I was younger my friends and I were always outside; either in the pool, at the park, or riding our bikes or scooters. Summers in Washington were the best. My friend Ashley and I looked similar, so we pretended we were sisters. Sometimes even our moms would confuse us. Ebony was my best friend. Both of our dads were in the Navy and sometimes were out at sea together. That’s what made us and our moms closer.

Having a dad that was in the Navy made me feel proud to be an American and that I was special. 
Ebony and I were always doing something. Our moms would throw parties on holidays like 4th of July, New Years, Christmas, and St. Patricks day. Those were the best days of my life. On some days, we would go to the pool and spend the day there. Other days we would spend at the park or exploring the woods. We made up games like not touching the ground because “it was lava.” As an American, i’m free to have anyone as a friend and enjoy activities with them.

We were always on our bikes. We explored new paths to take, going on the other side of the apartment complex and played follow the leader.

My mom, dad, and I only spent three years in Washington. Then we moved back to Wisconsin. A part of me was excited to go back and see my family, and the other was upset that I had to leave my friends. I knew I would miss them.

I want to go back to Washington with everyone and have fun like we always did. I am proud to be an American. Free to live wherever I want. I don’t know where I would’ve been without all of my friends. They helped us through a lot since my dad was always gone. As an American, I am proud to have helpful neighbors and friends to always be there for me. I wouldn’t of asked for a better place to live.