Greg Forbes | Teen Ink

Greg Forbes

By Brookelynn1998 BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan
Brookelynn1998 BRONZE, Ypsilanti, Michigan

“Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.”

Dr. Greg Forbes (Storm Master G) - Meteorologist

There are many leaders in the field of Meteorology but Dr. Greg Forbes stands out to me as one of the most influential leaders.  Dr. Greg Forbes has his PhD in meteorology he has many traits that qualify him as a leader. 

1) Experienced- Dr. Greg Forbes is experienced, he has been studying meteorology for a long time and he has worked with many infamous meteorologists.  Dr. Greg Forbes earned his bachelor’s degree in Meteorology at Pennsylvania State University; he later studied tornadoes and severe thunderstorms at University of Chicago where he got his Master’s Degree and PH.D. At the University of Chicago he studied under Ted Fujita, who was famous for creating the Fujita scale which measures damaged done by tornadoes and decides if it’s an F1, F2, F3, F4, or F5.

2) Innovative- Dr. Forbes is innovative; he reinvented the Fajita scale changing the name to the Enhanced Fajita scale. The new Fajita scale has changed the way it evaluates tornadoes to see whether it’s and EF1, EF2, EF3, EF4, or EF5. Dr. Forbes also designed a feature on The Weather Channel called “TorCon” or Tornado Conditions. This feature gives people an idea if there is going to be a tornado. If there is a 3 out 10 than that means there is a 30 percent chance of a tornado. This feature has kept a lot of people safe/

3) Committed- Dr. Forbes is committed to his job. He absolutely loves his job and love weather. He still continues to learn about the weather each day. Most people in his position would give up about learning about the weather because they think they know it all but not Dr. Forbes. When you watch Dr. Forbes talk about serve weather or tornadoes you can tell that he has a passion about it. I think Dr.  Forbes will continue to be passionate about his career.

4) Brave- In May of 2014 Greg Forbes announced that he had colon cancer, his prognosis was good and his cancer is treatable. In my eyes this makes him brave because anyone who goes through cancer is brave.
5) Empathetic- Dr. Forbes is empathetic; whenever there is a bad tornado or really bad thunderstorm he goes out into the field and helps the recovery effort.

6) Honest- Dr. Forbes is honest, when he does a weather report or has to talk about upcoming severe weather he has to be a hundred percent honest. If he isn’t honest than people could get hurt or killed.

7) Intelligence- Dr. Forbes is extremely intelligent when it comes to the weather (They don’t call him “Storm Master G” for nothing.) Dr. Forbes could probably tell you anything about severe storms.

8) Confident- Dr. Forbes is confident in himself and this work. He kind of has to be because he’s on national TV every day. When I want him do his forecasts I can see that he has really high confidence.

9) Inspirational- Last but not least he is extremely inspirational. When I watch him on the weather channel I can tell that he loves his job and how happy he is with his job and that is inspirational. Dr. Forbes inspired me to become a meteorologist and study tornadoes and hurricanes. I know that he has inspired thousands of kids.

All of these traits not only make a good leader the field of meteorology but it makes a good leader in in the world. Dr. Greg Forbes has all these traits and he is a great meteorologist and man. These traits will also help assist me in my future career in Broadcast Meteorology.