Dedication | Teen Ink

Dedication

The quality of being committed or dedicated to a task or purpose, dedication. When we think of dedication, we tend to think perseverance, grit, and trying your best. We have all heard at some point in our lives some sort of speech about not giving up and being dedicated, and maybe we just don't grasp the importance of it, because often we stop doing something when it gets difficult or boring.

Dedication isn't always easy. When we reach a point where something is boring or hard, the easiest thing to do is just to say  "hey, I'm done," and quit, but you cannot just give up on something you have already started, because all the work that you have already done would then be useless, gone.

I am not going to sit here and tell you about how I never quit and I am always dedicated, and how far that has gotten me, because that is simply not true. I have struggled with dedication throughout my life. When I was younger I tried a numerous amount of activities that I ended up giving up on. This happened with soccer, piano, softball, dance, and golf. Most recently I quit field hockey. I only gave it a couple weeks before I quit, because I didn't like it. If I had stuck with it, then I could have improved, and had fun. Recently, I attended one of their tournaments, and realized what I had been missing out on. I found myself air tapping with their sticks, and playing with them in between games. At these moments, I wished that I had been dedicated.

I have been dedicated before though, mainly through swimming. It was not easy though. I struggled through some parts. I have had my fair share of bad coaches. There were always swimmers that were better than me. And there was one thing, that made me want to quit more than anything. I joined a very competitive swim club, everyone was very intense, and I did not have very many friends. I did continue to swim, though, at a different team. I like to swim now, and have friends at my swim team. I am very glad I was dedicated.

Dedication is important, without it you will miss out on discovering new interests and new people. You will not improve in the activity if you are not dedicated. If you give up, and do not stick with what you start, you will miss out on opportunities, and new paths in life.