What I really mean | Teen Ink

What I really mean

December 6, 2008
By Anonymous

Dear Mom and Dad,

When I say that I think that you are the worst parents ever, I really mean that I think you’re the best. I know that you are always doing what you believe is best for me. I know I’ll thank you eventually.

When I say that I wish I had other parents, I really mean that I wouldn’t trade you for the world. I know that I’m lucky to have you and you have made me who I am today.

When I say that you have no idea what you are talking about, I really mean that you know more than I do. I know that you have lived and experienced much more than me.

When I say that I’m not sorry, I really mean that I could never be sorrier. I know the last thing that I ever want to do is hurt you, so when I do, I would do anything to take it back.

When I say that I’m going to run away, I really mean that I can’t handle the truth. I know that you do so much for me, too much. I could never repay you for the life that you have given me.

When I say that I don’t care what you think, I really mean that your opinions mean the world to me. I know that you know what’s good and what’s bad. You’re opinions are always straight forward and honest.

When I say that it’s not fair, I really mean that I’m not old enough to realize that the world has never been and will never be fair. I know that I just need to get over it.

When I say that it’s not my fault, I really mean that it’s my entire fault. I know that I screwed up; I just don’t know how to fix it.

When I say that I know everything, I really mean that I know close to nothing. I know that I am young and stupid and it is expected that I will make several mistakes.

When I say that you could never understand me, I really mean that it scares me how much you really do understand me. I know that you were my age once and you had similar problems.

When I say that I can’t wait to go to college, I really mean that I want to stay home forever. I know that deep down I really can’t imagine living without you for more than a few days.

When I say that I hate you, I really mean that I love you. I know that words cannot describe how thankful I am to have you, to have your love.

When I say that I meant every word of this, I really mean it.