What I really mean | Teen Ink

What I really mean

Dear Mom and Dad,

When I say that I think that you are the worst parents ever, I really mean that I think you’re the best. I know that you are always doing what you believe is best for me. I know I’ll thank you eventually.

When I say that I wish I had other parents, I really mean that I wouldn’t trade you for the world. I know that I’m lucky to have you and you have made me who I am today.

When I say that you have no idea what you are talking about, I really mean that you know more than I do. I know that you have lived and experienced much more than me.

When I say that I’m not sorry, I really mean that I could never be sorrier. I know the last thing that I ever want to do is hurt you, so when I do, I would do anything to take it back.

When I say that I’m going to run away, I really mean that I can’t handle the truth. I know that you do so much for me, too much. I could never repay you for the life that you have given me.

When I say that I don’t care what you think, I really mean that your opinions mean the world to me. I know that you know what’s good and what’s bad. You’re opinions are always straight forward and honest.

When I say that it’s not fair, I really mean that I’m not old enough to realize that the world has never been and will never be fair. I know that I just need to get over it.

When I say that it’s not my fault, I really mean that it’s my entire fault. I know that I screwed up; I just don’t know how to fix it.

When I say that I know everything, I really mean that I know close to nothing. I know that I am young and stupid and it is expected that I will make several mistakes.

When I say that you could never understand me, I really mean that it scares me how much you really do understand me. I know that you were my age once and you had similar problems.

When I say that I can’t wait to go to college, I really mean that I want to stay home forever. I know that deep down I really can’t imagine living without you for more than a few days.

When I say that I hate you, I really mean that I love you. I know that words cannot describe how thankful I am to have you, to have your love.

When I say that I meant every word of this, I really mean it.

Debbie K. said...
Wow, Stephanie you are a gift!!

missdancer said...
on Jan. 8 2009 at 4:17 am
wow. that was so great! totally true, too. i feel the same way, thanks!

lisaljb said...
on Jan. 7 2009 at 4:51 am
This brought tears to my eyes as I read, so much honesty, it couldn't have been said better.

Lois said...
on Jan. 7 2009 at 2:46 am
BRAVO! You've written so wonderfully what many teens want to say, but can't get their heads around! Well done!!

Lois B. said...
on Jan. 7 2009 at 2:32 am
WOW! What a fabulous piece of work! I LOVE IT! It's what so many want to say, but truly can't! You've captured it so well with your words - BRAVO!

I thought that this article, letter, was insightful. I felt myself connecting with the words, knowing this is what I feel. I know that I am just too stubborn to admit any of this. Maybe that will go away in time.

You wrote this very orderly and expertly. I hope to view more of your work on a later date. =D

suezerf said...
on Jan. 5 2009 at 11:42 am
Iloved this article. I think it expresses how most teenagers feel growing up.

Akunke01 said...
on Jan. 5 2009 at 3:32 am
Wow. This really gets to the heart of the struggle teens face and how difficult it is to come to terms withthe emotions a teen is facing. Thank you for writing it!!

paula225 said...
on Jan. 5 2009 at 1:54 am
I was very touched by this article and thought it was well written and insightful. It made me remember what it was like to be a teenager and what is really going on inside.

Well done!

doc auntie said...
Well done. This isn't just about parental relationships, it's about all relationships in many ways. Very mature young writer and well written.

bgreen820 said...
Stephanie, that was a wonderful article. Very eloquently written... Good Luck!

PugLove said...
Fantastic, Stephanie G. Keep on writing!!!

joejoe said...
on Jan. 4 2009 at 5:17 am
As a parent of a teenager I find great comfort in knowing this is how a teenage feels. I know that my daughter feels the same way but it is truly hard to express her feelings. This will definitely hit home to many teenagers and let them realize and articulate how they really feel. This should definitely reach as many teenagers as possible!!!!

Kathi said...
on Jan. 4 2009 at 3:27 am
That was wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing....