You are normal. | Teen Ink

You are normal.

The stereotypical teenager is angry. With the world, their parents, the government, their friends; regardless, he or she is angry. What very few people point out is that all teenagers fit into a stereotype. There, I've said it, now the entire "indie-nerd-emo-original-unique" crowd is at my throat. (At least in thought.) Here's an example. I'm sure many of the people reading this hate the typical "teeny-bopper-JOBROSgossipgirlOMGlolfacebook<33333" stereotype, right? Well, I have another stereotype up my sleeve for all of you who hate that stereotype. The teen rebel is one who tries his or her best to not conform, but ends up conforming to everyone else who tries not to conform. You've been caught, emo girl. Now go be normal! Just kidding. But really, why do some of us rebel so strongly against our completely natural teenage instinct to conform? In reality, anyone who cares that much about conformity is somewhat pathetic. I can't even count the number of girls who have called themselves "weird" with a ridiculous amount of pride. What is there to be proud of? Your unwillingness or dare-I-say inability to "be normal"? It just leads me to this conclusion: being a teenager isn't fun. There is a constant struggle against either the teeny-bopper or the teen angst, and rebelling against either will cause teen angst. So tell me, why can't you let yourself be yourself? "Well, I am being myself, look how unique I am!" Here's some news: you aren't all that unique yet. You need to make yourself unique by standing out with a deed, something you DO, not by what you wear and who you hate. And maybe you haven't reached that stage yet. Don't worry about it. Don't worry about anything you don't have to just yet, and in the meantime, listen to Taylor Swift or the Jonas Brothers and let yourself realize that maybe, just maybe, you are a normal teenager.

skippydog said...
Praise God. Thank-you. I needed to hear this. Thank you :).

Wow! This was really good. I liked it a lot, I totally understand where you are coming from. Keep it up.

TSchwa. said...
on Jan. 6 2009 at 3:51 am
Amen.