Animal Testing | Teen Ink

Animal Testing

By TeraMoshrefnoory BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
TeraMoshrefnoory BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

g

Animal testing has been a part of our daily uses for a long time now. That mascara you use every single day and that laundry detergent you’ve used since before you can remember, was approved by harming an animal. Although some people think that the purpose of animal testing is to save humans, it is ultimately killing animals because of the harsh conditions and reactions they endure.
Of course the testing of animals has contributed to “life-saving cures and it is supported by some biologists and bio medicals.” And yes, it is said to be “unethical” to perform these types of tests on humans. But, these do not hide the fact that there are alternative options for testing, such as computer modeling, blood from human volunteers, etc., in which animals and humans are both excluded. The only downside to these alternative tests is the cost, which is an easy fix considering the large amount of money that is donated in order to put a stop to these inhumane tests by organizations such as The Humane Society, PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), and so on. Breakthroughs in the medical world of animal research are said to be possible without the use of animals.
Animal testing is believed to be accurate because of the close comparison in the bodies of humans and animals. Because of the relatable body systems, people think whatever is safe to animals, is safe to humans, too. This is true, but it has also been proven wrong because of the fact that even though our bodies are similar, they also contrast in many ways, making it easy to “mislead researchers into ignoring possible potential cures and treatments.” Also, following the lines of contrasting bodies, drugs that pass animals are not necessarily safe and the results predicted in tests are not reliable.
It is understood that many cosmetic and health care products must be tested in order to ensure the safety of humans. Many beauty products such as mascara, blush, etc., are tested on innocent animals to make sure the product is safe. Yes, it is correct that these products are demanded by the public and that a way of ensuring the safety is to test them on animals, but, why is there a need for so many of the same product? If companies stopped making so many different kinds of products, such as mascara, there wouldn’t be as many tests needed. As a mascara user, I have to say that I can’t live without it, but then again, I can live without a hundred different brands of the same thing that is labeled differently. Animal testing is abused due to the amount of unnecessary products being made.
It is argued that animals either do not have feelings or that they are protected by the AWA (Animal Welfare Act). These two theories have been proven wrong due to recent studies that have shown that animals can suffer just like humans. Also, The AWA is claimed to protect the animals being experimented on, when in reality, “95% used are not protected” by them whatsoever. Also, the Animal Welfare Act has never stepped in a lab to prevent the abuse of animals in there. The AWA does protect animals, however, not the specific ones that need to be saved from cruel and inhumane tests.
If animal testing can be prevented, so be it. The tests are not accurate enough to risk not only the animals’ lives, but ours, too. These poor, innocent animals should not have to experience things so harmful, especially if it can be prevented. Society is becoming advanced with the involvement of alternative tests and they need to be put to use.