Humanity | Teen Ink

Humanity

By Westiera SILVER, Wasilla, Alaska
Westiera SILVER, Wasilla, Alaska

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allan Poe

The world is a strange twisted place full of anarchy and conflict that somehow develops a dark beauty that shadows the human race. An outsider observing our society would surely wonder how we are so resilient and adapting. I believe that the closer you come to understanding the truth the farther you are from realizing it. Out of such desolation comes an unlikely beauty that baffles me exceedingly. From a war torn country to a disaster of nature’s doing you can always find joy, mostly from those who have suffered the unimaginable loss. Our society today takes many things for granted and even more we do not realize it. Our world is based on life yet we constantly inflict death on our brothers. The human race is of an intelligent creator we are blessed with foresight and intelligence. Let me make something clear to you that is most often misunderstood. Intelligence is the age of the mind, but wisdom is the maturity of the soul.

To be a scholar or a philosopher at an early age is not so much an accomplishment, but more of a social defect in this society. We are a race blessed with intelligence so why is it that we do not comprehend or even try to access it. Like in Ayn Rand’s novel Anthem, if there is someone out of the norm we mock and pressure them until they break or become stronger than to depend on likes of the hypocrisy. Ironically we call our oligarchy an independent nation even when we precondemn each other to our personal judgments.

Although preserved in a pejorative light, I like to think of it as was said by a very perspicacious sentinel, “The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”—The Doctor There are many reasons to be cynical, but there are just as many to be optimistic.