Educator of the Year Nomination | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year Nomination

By nom_de_plume BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware
nom_de_plume BRONZE, Hockessin, Delaware

When I was in middle school, I was part of the band. When I joined in 6th grade, I was ready to quit at a moment’s notice. I hadn’t really enjoyed it in elementary school, and I wasn’t really expecting a great time. Mr. Gleason changed all that. After just a few days in his class, I was loving it. Band was one of the best experiences that I had in middle school. This was in no small part from our teacher, Mr. Gleason. He is an amazing person. He was always looking out for students, coming up with fun and creative lessons, and trying to be the best teacher possible. I for one think that he succeeded, and that’s why I would like to nominate him for the Educator of the Year award.
Something I really liked about Mr. Gleason was that he wants his students to be able to do more than just play “black notes off white paper.” He wants us to become musicians who enjoy and appreciate music. While some band instructors just have their students practice their show music over and over again, Mr. Gleason would take the time to show us the finer points of music. From improvisation days to music history --even watching musicals!-- he made sure that we were well-rounded pupils.
Another great thing about Mr. Gleason was his dedication. He was willing to give so much for his students. He single handedly ran Concert Band, Wind Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble, Jazz Band, and Pep Band. Countless hours were spent after school helping students practice music. He also gave up time to take us on band trips, and would even give up his lunch break and planning period if students wanted to stop by and talk to him. Time isn’t the only thing that Mr. Gleason shared with us though. He would also share stories. Whether true or made up, with a morale or just for entertainment, there was always a tale on tap in the band.
What I really appreciated about Mr. Gleason was his desire to help his students. When I was going through a tough time in middle school, Mr. Gleason was the first to reach out to help. He always had a kind word for me, and reminded me that his door was open if I wanted to talk. He would even print out stories or poems for me to read. Even though I didn’t always show it, I really appreciated knowing that he cared.
All in all, Mr. Gleason is an exceptional person, both inside the classroom and out. He is funny, compassionate, and dedicated to his work. From surrendering free time to sharing stories, he really did all he could for his students. I know that I’m a better person from being in his class, and I’m confident that others will say the same. After all, with such an amazing role model how could we not be? I’ll always remember Mr. Gleason as the amazing guy who cemented my love for music. Nominating him for this award is the least I can do to show him how much I appreciated being in his band.