Veggie Stigma | Teen Ink

Veggie Stigma

By Rian Farrelly GOLD, New City, New York
Rian Farrelly GOLD, New City, New York

I really enjoyed Debbie Foster’s article ‘Veggie Stigma’, about her experiences with people not understanding her choice to be a vegetarian. It reminded me of my own experiences with vegetarianism. While I’m not personally a vegetarian, I am the only member of my family that isn’t. This article made me look back on how I reacted when they all made the switch, one by one, to cutting meat out of their diets. Most of all, I remember how surprised I was when my dad, the last and least likely to make the switch, finally came around to their view. I was pretty confused at the time (he loved meat more than anyone I knew), but then he explained to me that he was doing it for his health, rather than out of love of animals like my sister. Debbie said that she felt awkward when she had to explain why she chose to be a vegetarian, but, as she said, it’s nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone has their reasons for decisions like these, and sharing them can really help people to better understand those decisions.