What's Wrong with Different? | Teen Ink

What's Wrong with Different?

By out_of_journal BRONZE, Layton, Utah
out_of_journal BRONZE, Layton, Utah

Frankly, I'm fed up with politicians in Washington lecturing the rest of us about family values. Our families have values. But our government doesn’t.
BILL CLINTON, speech at Democratic National Convention, July 16, 1992

How often have you heard from a group of boys "C'mon, I dare you. You backing out? looks like you're a wuss." How often have you heard one girl say something about another girl mentioning how that other girl is wearing boys clothing so they say she's too much like a boy or lacking feminine look? How often have we seen students getting picked on or ignored because sports is not their thing? These types of things happen because we, as a society in the U.S. have hyped up what boys like and, can only like. otherwise they are a "sissy" or a "wuss". It goes the same with girls as well.

Being a teenager in Jr. high, I have seen these specific situations more times than I can count. In schools this happens constantly. Teens constantly watch their words and actions because, for boys, if we say something to feminine we will get teased constantly and harshly. Even with girls, what if I act too much like a guy? For example, when I was in sixth grade, I had an obsession with the color pink. This, to the other boys, was odd. "A boy liking a girl color?" To my peers this was humorous, constantly asked "why do you like a girl color?" and soon after given the nickname of "Coltene" the feminine version of my original name Colte. I always replied with the simple question I constantly had while being teased "What's wrong with different?" School is not the only place that follows this social teachings.

These specific gender hypes are highly influenced by our own social media. for instance, look at this headline in the seventeen magazine. "Which spring trend you should follow." this is stating that girls need to follow a certain trend to be "in" or, you will be different. you do not see social media say it's okay to be different, unless you are not the different we say is okay. You don't see very much encouragement to girls who like getting their hands dirty, scoring a goal, or even ones that love fixing things. When did the media say it's okay for boys to be sensitive or a little girly. When has the media ever said "hey, boys you can like painting your toenails." More than likely all media that's directed towards boys is something like this ad."10 secrets for quick muscles." Here's another good example from axe products. "Use this and girls will flock around you" My favorite statement in media directed towards boys is: "Here's your man card." I happened upon this phrase both at school and on the television.

Our society today has made up impossible standards to be acknowledged as a man. A boy cant in public say "I love your hair" without people questioning his sexuality. A boy in today's society can't wear makeup without being criticized by all. There is a story where a boy that wanted to go to homecoming but, wanted to wear a dress to the dance. the principle refused. So on the night of the dance he wore a suit but, he put on some makeup. when he arrived to the dance with his date. The principle to this student to take the makeup off or be suspended stating "That is not what young men are meant to wear."

Social media has made it so that girls need to be pretty, wear makeup, have perfect hair, and not speak their mind or they are considered to manly. In our society a girl that shows to many masculine qualities is rude or mean. Even in the United States government, when a girl speaks her mind they refer to that as being "rude, controlling, mean, and harsh." Only because they want to speak what they have on their mind, speaking one's mind is a quality normally found men, is it not? So why is it so different when a girl does it? In politics, if a man where to speak their mind, what they say will be stated as true and inspiring. people will say I'm glad he has strong opinions. Ask yourself, what would happen if a woman stated this quote by Bill Clinton, "I'm fed up with politicians in Washington lecturing the rest of us about family values. Our families have values. But our government doesn't." Why is this so different?

I wait for the day that both boys and girls will be able to do and say what they want without dozens and dozens of people judging them, us, you. For not doing what society has put in front of you and me. Until then society will keep growing with new ways of saying you will be our unique. You will be our special, and anyone who's not is to different from what we say is okay. Whoever doesn't follow us can't be the same, we can't deal with this. Question the different ones. Judge them. Make them change. This cannot be stopped, at least not until we all realize that their equal, is not a true equality. Until that day, ask yourself. What is so bad about different?

for my L.A. class I needed to write about gender related subject so I chose to talk about both stereotypes and equality.